Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NAS enclosure? Can it be simple?
tegwin

posted on 16/12/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
NAS enclosure? Can it be simple?

Can anyone suggest a NAS enclosure...

It needs to take 2 SATA disks (1tb each) and support raid1(mirror) in FAT32 or NTFS...and also allow access via mapped network share or UNC path over my home network... I basically want my family to be able to store their photos etc in the same way they access their "my documents".... so using the windows file system, not some weird interface!

I also want to be able to schedule backups from some of the workstations in the house... I presume I can do this by pointing the backup at a UNC share?

I tried the ICYbox 2 disk NAS, but it wont let you do raid 1 with fat32.. it has to be EXT2 which is not much help if I want windows to access it!

Can anyone help?

Its a minefield of products out there and I dont know what to look at!

I didnt really want to spend more than £150..lol

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

scudderfish

posted on 16/12/09 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
If it is network attached, the underlying filesystem doesn't matter as you are not accessing the disks directly, but via a network protocol (SMB, CIFS, NFS) instead.
iank

posted on 16/12/09 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
The filesystem running on the NAS make no difference to windows as it's attached using ethernet and SMB/CIFS* (linky) which is the microsoft protocol for network attached storage. The PC never gets to see FAT or NTFS internals.

"My Documents" is just a directory and nothing to do with the file system's underlying format.

* (or NFS, AFP if you are using unix or MacOS)

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

bodger

posted on 16/12/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
As scudderfish says. It doesn't matter what file system the NAS box uses unless you want to also access them directly through say an esata interface. Ext2 means the box is using Linux & Samba to provide a SMB network interface. As far as your Windows machines are concerned the drives will just appear as another share.
For £150 you should be able to get something that'll sort you out. I'd look at Netgear or maybe Linksys.

britishtrident

posted on 16/12/09 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
The NAS box is actually a network computer running in nearly all cases a cut down version of Windows NT running from firmware.

When you connect it you access it by it own intranet web server, which has screens for formating, setting up users passwords and directories and permission.

Access to directories and files can either be by windows (smb) networking or by FTP using a client such as Filezilla.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 16/12/09 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The NAS box is actually a network computer running in nearly all cases a cut down version of Windows NT running from firmware.

Really NT? I'm very surprised they don't use Linux like a lot of the routers etc. do.

iank

posted on 16/12/09 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Really NT? I'm very surprised they don't use Linux like a lot of the routers etc. do.

I agree, the Buffalo ones run Linux (ref).
They are mostly ARM based to save on BOM afaik so it would be WinCE if they were Microsoft based.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

yellow melos

posted on 16/12/09 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Well the simple answer... amungs all this nt/linux/smb IT bollox is...

with most nas boxes you should be able to map a network drive to a share on the nas.

if you want the my documents to be sited on the nas.. you might have a bit more trouble..

( you can try right clicking on My Documents from the start menu and select properties, you can then cahnge the location of you my documents folder.. put in \\NasBoxIP\ShareName\UserFolderName\My Documents

if you want somthing a bit more customisable.... could go down the MS Home Server route... basically a small pc with a cutdown version of windows.. all driven from a web browser... can setup user permissions with read/write on a per user basis and tell the machines on your network to backup from the same web console.

but a bit more cost involved

britishtrident

posted on 16/12/09 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
These days plug in NAS drives are so cheap converting an old PC is less attractive particularly for home use.

Building a NAS using a redundant PC is OK if you are using it for serious stuff and in any event no point in going down the Windows Home Server Route when FreeNas is free, dead simple and secure.

tegwin

posted on 16/12/09 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
hmm.. Might see if I can change my generic german thing for a linksys device... atleast the support looks a little better....

The other alternative I guess is to pop my two disks inside a very basic minipc running some flavour of windows... and run that as a file server type affair....perhaps more suceptable to viruses... but easier to configure

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

iank

posted on 17/12/09 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
The other alternative I guess is to pop my two disks inside a very basic minipc running some flavour of windows... and run that as a file server type affair....perhaps more suceptable to viruses... but easier to configure

How will it be easier to configure? My Buffalo linkstation NAS took 5mins with a web browser to set up. If it supports raid that will just be a clicky box to activate I suspect.

--
Anonymous

Davey D

posted on 17/12/09 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
i just built up an ITX pc for my home nas
rgrs

posted on 17/12/09 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Your icy box should do the job, provided that the samba server is enabled and the share permissions are set up the you should be able to map the share to the users login so all they have to do is click on the folder.

However you might want to consider longer term something like this :linky

This type of unit gives you better raid system and more cost effective storage but also the ability to schedule automated backups of remote machines.

Now these units are a few years old the secondhand prices are comming down to an affordable level.

Roger

britishtrident

posted on 17/12/09 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

How will it be easier to configure? My Buffalo linkstation NAS took 5mins with a web browser to set up. If it supports raid that will just be a clicky box to activate I suspect.

Setting uo FreeNAS is very much like setiing up an off the peg NAS drive all done using a web page interface.
FreeNAS is good and free but cheap off the peg NAS boxes are probably more suited to home use than a PC boxes running FreeNAS.

We have been using a pair of cheap NAS boxes for a few years now for backups and archives with zero problems. The NAS box used for automated backups has been running 24/7 for 3 years.

Be aware that not all of the cheaper NAS boxes have built in cooling fans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeNAS

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.