Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DVLA Engine Swap Rules?
flak monkey

posted on 24/12/09 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA Engine Swap Rules?

OK, so I need to get the engine number changed on my V5.

As far as the capacity goes, its the same I just need the number updating.

Is it going to be as simple as filling in the form and they will change it, or are they likely to ask for a whole host of proof that its been changed?

Also, I assume they dont require proof of engine age like the first time around for SVA and emissions?

Thanks,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

ReMan

posted on 24/12/09 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
1) AFAIK, it will be no problem (hoops)when taxation class remains the same

2)Likewise AFAIK No rules to worry about

Steve G

posted on 24/12/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
As above - they are primarily looking for fraudulent changes to go into a lower tax bracket so should be simple with just a new engine number. The emissions requirement remains the same so no proof of engine age required
flak monkey

posted on 24/12/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, so irrespective of going from a 1986 engine to a 2001 I shouldnt have any probs.

That said they probably wont be able to tell the age of the engine anyway, and the car is on a Q plate as well.

Thanks,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Blackbird Rush

posted on 24/12/09 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
They may ask for a letter from the 'company' that changed the engine or someone in the trade that can confirm that the engine fitted is the one you are putting down on paper.

A friend is having to do this due to swapping a pinto for a blade.

Benzine

posted on 24/12/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird Rush
They may ask for a letter from the 'company' that changed the engine or someone in the trade that can confirm that the engine fitted is the one you are putting down on paper.

A friend is having to do this due to swapping a pinto for a blade.

I wrote a short letter explaining what I did with a couple of photos. One showed the engine and one showed a close-up of the engine number. Got the V5 back changed v.quickly.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigpig

posted on 24/12/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
There was a recent article in either PPC or TKC a few months back about the changes to this.

As others have said, you need proof of purchase of the original engine or proof of the engine details on headed paper from a garage/mechanic to prove the engine is the correct capacity. I'm not sure about engine age, I guess thats mainly for the MOT, but I would suspect that engine age would help in case they try to re-issue you a reg plate.

I think they also recomended a headed letter from a garage to prove the engine swap really took place.

There were also some funnies with the DVLA in that they can ask for the car to be re-IVA'ed if the engine isn't a standard manufacture's engine for that car type. That could be interesting, Manufacturer - MK Sports cars, approved engines - Anything that fits in the chassis.

yellow melos

posted on 24/12/09 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
i never had a problem changing my Dutton melos from a 1300 to 1600 but the car is tax exempt so they may not care.

currently waiting for the log books for 2 NTV motor bikes.. 1 is 600 and teh other is 650.

will see what they say or weather they will do it without hassle

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.