Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: handbrake cable
aliwizard

posted on 12/3/10 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
handbrake cable

hi can anyone help with handbrake cables,on my velocity xt ,i cut the one in half that i got from luego but it is to short,i have allso fitted the caliper to the front as per the luego build manual ,but fitting them to the back would help with fitting the handbrake cables,as there would be a bigger loop in the cable , any help please.

2cv

posted on 12/3/10 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Can you clarify your question or what help you need?
aliwizard

posted on 12/3/10 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
hand brake cable

yes sorry ,as you can see from the photo that the cables are in a really tight arc they really need to be longer,i think it is a sierra cable that i got from luego. are there any other cables that will fit that are longer,i fitted my calipers to the front of the rear upright ,this means the bleed nipple is at the bottom , but it has been bled and seams ok, how have other builders fitted theres cheers.
2cv

posted on 12/3/10 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Before leaping in, I was hoping one of the Luego, Viento etc builders would offer you help. I've not built one of these but have used the Sierra cable and rear calipers. Many people, myself included, have turned the calipers up the other way with the bleed nipple at the top and this works very well and of course makes bleeding the system much easier. Regarding the cable, which is Sierra, I was wondering if a second cable cut over half way might work. Obviously you are stuck with the length of the outer which presumably abuts a bracket on the chassis. If all else fails, Speedy Cables will make you a pair of cables to your specification.

I'm sorry this is a bit general but I hope it helps in some way.

ps It's a good idea to resize your pictures and this will make your post easier to read

[Edited on 12/3/10 by 2cv]

richard thomas

posted on 13/3/10 at 01:29 AM Reply With Quote
If I remember correctly, the sierra cable needs shortening to suit. The rear calipers are fitted 'upside down' which makes bleeding a pain in the arse, but far from impossible. Mine seems to work ok...don't worry too much about the bend radius.
DanP

posted on 14/3/10 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
I have a viento which despite being larger has all the same running gear so distances etc are the same.

I used the rear calipers upside down for ease of running the cables and bought a Westfield handbrake cable for about 25 quid from their online store because I wasn't confident in my ability to shorten mine properly. I might have overdone it but I made some brackets and guide loops to hold the cable in place and make sure it could slide and didn't foul anything as the suspension travelled. I can probably dig out a photo if it helps.

Hth
Dan

aliwizard

posted on 14/3/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
cables

hi dan ,a photo would help,many thanks
DanP

posted on 15/3/10 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Can't for the life of me find a photo, but this is a drawing of what I did. It might be a little over-engineered but haven't had any problems with it yet.

handbrake install
handbrake install

Cheers,
Dan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.