Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Motorshow muppet
scoobyis2cool

posted on 28/5/04 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Motorshow muppet

Just got back from the Motorshow and there was a sign next to a Subaru Impreza World Rally Car saying that it does 0-60 in 2.4s. I asked the bloke at the stand if this was a misprint but he said no that's correct. I then less politely tried to tell him that it doesn't accelerate that fast and he ended up getting pretty stressed about it! I've just been checking it on the internet and the WR1 (basically a road version of the rally car) does it in 4.25s. I urge anyone who goes to the Motorshow to bombard the people on the Subaru stand with questions about this until they finally change it, just to spite him

Pete

[Edited on 28/5/04 by scoobyis2cool]

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 28/5/04 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
what a cock!

ATB
Locoboy

JoelP

posted on 28/5/04 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
though 2.4 is absurd, the full rally car is faster than any road version i know of, including 555s, 22b, p1 and wr1s. Try a google to find out!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 28/5/04 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
though 2.4 is absurd, the full rally car is faster than any road version i know of, including 555s, 22b, p1 and wr1s. Try a google to find out!

Oh yeah I agree the rally car will be much faster than any of the road cars, but I knew it couldn't be that fast!

It seemed weird that they were showing the 0-60 at all, none of the other teams were and I would've thought it would be one of those things you don't really want to tell your competitors! Maybe they were trying to scare them with some crazy stats...

Pete

[Edited on 28/5/04 by scoobyis2cool]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 28/5/04 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember another manufacturer who misquoted at a show recently (though not as upmarket as Scoop-the-doo) - can't remember who they were - but they got a real slagging off for it.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 28/5/04 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe this could be the beginning of a revolutionary sales technique - technical stats wouldn't have to be "proven", so much as just "printed". This would certainly boost sales of the new 650bhp Daewoo Matiz

Pete

phelpsa

posted on 28/5/04 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Remember that the WR car will be stripped out and have lighter body panels than any road car. They would not put carbon fibre or light weight race seats in a roadgoing car as it would not be worthwhile.

Adam

scoobyis2cool

posted on 28/5/04 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
Remember that the WR car will be stripped out and have lighter body panels than any road car. They would not put carbon fibre or light weight race seats in a roadgoing car as it would not be worthwhile.

Adam

The minimum weight for a rally car is 1230kg wheras the WR1 road car weighs in at about 1480kg. Although this is a fairly big difference it wouldn't account for a 0-60 time that is over 2 seconds faster

Pete

Bo

posted on 28/5/04 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote

The minimum weight for a rally car is 1230kg wheras the WR1 road car weighs in at about 1480kg. Although this is a fairly big difference it wouldn't account for a 0-60 time that is over 2 seconds faster

Pete

Please don't forget about the stiffer suspension, and construction, lower gearing, Sequential box, more BHP etc...

Btw. I don't think it is that fast though. But I would like to try

flak monkey

posted on 28/5/04 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
The WRC cars are just <5 secs 0-60.

Theres no way with 300bhp and a car that weighs miniumum 1230kg you will get much quicker. Unless you want to be in 6th gear by the time you are doing 60mph....

But then who remembers the mad days of the RS200 0-60 in 2.81secs

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Project7

posted on 28/5/04 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Unless you want to be in 6th gear by the time you are doing 60mph....

They will be able to play around with the gearing massively for the tight and twisties. Plus grip away from the line is often the limiting factor with 0-60 times - with a rally designed four wheel drive system it may not be that far fetched - under 3 sec may be abit optomistic though

[Edited on 28/5/04 by Project7]

cosworth

posted on 28/5/04 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
They also have trick things like active diffs, launch control, sticky tyres, semi automatic transmission, choice of diff and gear ratios etc so why isnt this time possible? Modern WR Cars beat the times of old Group B cars hands down on most stages with double the weight and half the power. If you consider that RS200 rallycross cars used to do 0-60 in less than 2 seconds then 2.5 for a WR Car is quite likely. Anyone who has watched a Subaru WRC car on tarmac will know that from a standing start the car will be in 6th gear in a couple of hundred metres
stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/5/04 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt call scobies upmarket.

fast yes, plasticky crap inside, yes.

high performance, but not upmarket. Hyundai accents have better interiors.

now, beemer diesels, now ya talking. Who can argue with 9.2 secs

atb

steve

[Edited on 28/5/04 by stephen_gusterson]

Hellfire

posted on 28/5/04 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
I knew that'd tempt you Steve!

Don't start me with Beemers again... I can't get on the hard shoulders for 'em!

N*E*R*D

posted on 29/5/04 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think it is to far off remember that most rally cars make there 300bhp off the line down to the anti-lag system and the Scooby has to have extra weight added to make up its comp weight!
Did it state there gear ratio 90 could be its top wak: P remember a marketing ploy,
But I don’t believe you can measure a rally car next to a road car for bhp or torque not same league!

Just a thought

J

"Good Bad I'm the guy with the gun"

mackie

posted on 29/5/04 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure sub 3 seconds is possible for a WR car. With mad ratios and instant gear changes (and don't forget massive torque) it's not unfeasible. The road version is geared for 150mph top speed whereas the competition ones will barely ever see 100mph, probably much less on twistier stages.

[Edited on 29/5/04 by mackie]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/5/04 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
My last car broke down - but still drivable (waterleaks) once in 100k. Other silly stuf, but just the one serious one. Still didnt need oil between services even after 100k, and was still doing same mpg and performance at 100k.

[Edited on 29/5/04 by stephen_gusterson]

jono_misfit

posted on 12/4/06 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
If it was a puka WRC car then 0 - 60 on tarmac is about 3 secs and gravel is about 3.5

WRC cars tend to be geared for circa 120mph but it depends on the event, some are longer gearing, some shorter.

Think the quoted time was a bit on the optimistic time.

owelly

posted on 12/4/06 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Whether the car can do sub 3sec 0-60 is now irrelevant because the marketing bloke has done his job. We're all taking about his car!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Liam

posted on 13/4/06 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Works RS200 with 450 ponies did 2.8 seconds back in 1980-whatever-it-was. A modern WRC might only have about 320 ponies, but they have about a billion Nm torque!! Well OK, somewhere around 600 from about idle speed thanks to a good few bar of boost. They produce their 320 bhp, well, all the time! Rather more useful than a peaky 450-500bhp. Without their restrictors they are 6-700bhp monsters. These engines are literally decades ahead of the old group B beasts.

So are the 4WD systems, the gearboxes, suspension, and tyres. The WR1 a road version of the rally car?!! Ummm not by a very very very long way!

2006 works WRC, tarmac spec, short gearing, sticky tyres... 2.4 seconds to 60? EASY!

Liam

[Edited on 13/4/06 by Liam]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.