Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Cradle
Smooth Torquer

posted on 18/7/04 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Engine Cradle

Hi guys,

Now that I have got my hands on a 2003 R1 engine, I need a cradle to mount it in my Luego chassis.

Does anyone have any pics of the GTS Tuning R1 Engine cradle (GTS-8009)?

I think MK do a cradle for the R1, but only list a Blade one in their price list. Can anyone confirm this, and its price?

Can anyone think of a reson that these engine cradles wont fit into a luego engine bay?

As always pics of anyones engine cradles installed would be a great help

Thanks

Sam

JoaoCaldeira

posted on 26/7/04 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.
I was thinking about buying a complete Luego Velocity Xt kit, but the fact that they don't have a kit for the R1 / Blade / GSXR (only the ZZR) made me step back.

Do you think that you can use their chassis and adapt other engine cradle? As their chassis is powdercpated, if you add another rail won't you have to powedercoat it again?

Thanks,
Joćo Caldeira

Bo

posted on 22/10/04 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I will bring this one up again.
I also have a Luego Velocity and are very interested in seeing any pictures of the engine cradle for the R1 engine....

Any advice ?

phelpsa

posted on 22/10/04 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Be a proper locoster and build it yourself!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bo

posted on 22/10/04 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
ehh thanks

That is exactly what i am trying to do, I just don't know how much support is needed for the engine, hence the humble request for pictures.

Even though you might think it was funny, I would prefer not to drop the engine while driving.

marc n

posted on 22/10/04 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
send me an email at info@mnrltd.co.uk and i will forward some pictures of our mountings on our car including the cradle so you can see if it is possible for you to retrofit

regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bo

posted on 22/10/04 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
You've got mail

Thanks

phelpsa

posted on 22/10/04 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I am not making a cradle, but using car engine style mounts. We were looking around forsomeone to make us a cradle originally, but no one would make one for an unusual engine.

I didn't mean to offend you (if I did) and it wouldn't be funny for the engine to fall out (I know, it happened to my quadbike when I was 10)

Adam

marc n

posted on 22/10/04 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
you have mail too !

just noticed i have been upgraded to builder rather than junior builder just shows you there are rewrads for all this waffling

regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Bo

posted on 22/10/04 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
No worries, it takes a lot more to offend me

How the ??? do you manage to get car style mounts to fit the engine ?

This is my first build and I am a little bit stuck here. I don't want to little support (obviously) but on the other hadn I don't wan to build a ton of bridgework if not necessary either.....

Peteff

posted on 22/10/04 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Not R1 but

the principle seems the same for most bike engines.I made one for my ZX9R engine and put a couple of extra tubes under it for pickup points Rescued attachment cradle.jpg
Rescued attachment cradle.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

phelpsa

posted on 22/10/04 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have an AutoCAD viewer. I have been practicing and have a drawing of the engine with mounts, I can email it to you if you want.

Adam

Bo

posted on 22/10/04 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
Do you have an AutoCAD viewer. I have been practicing and have a drawing of the engine with mounts, I can email it to you if you want.

Adam

Yes please, fire away. I discovered my email was hidden, I have fixed that now.

phelpsa

posted on 22/10/04 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
YHM!

phelpsa

posted on 22/10/04 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Just incase your email didn't work:

Bob C

posted on 23/10/04 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,
I didn't bother with a cradle - just made up mounts with rubber "sandwiches" (not shown on the pics - just a long 10mm bolt pretending) to hold the engine in 3 places. Except at the front I used a suspension rubber instead. Is there an overriding reason to make a "cradle"?
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=engmntri.jpg
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=engmntrr.jpg
Bob C

sebastiaan

posted on 23/10/04 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Bob,

Have you got three mounts on the engine, or just two? to be properly mounted, it needs a miniumum of three mounts!

Unmounted, the engine has 6 degrees of freedom (it can move up an down, for and aft and from side to side and rotate along three axis).

A properly designed mounting arrangement can achieve 0 degrees of freedom (what you'd want with your engine, obviousely) with three mounts, but not less.

If you've only two POINT mounts, the whole assembly can still rotate around the axis through these two points.

Look at the way a car engine is mounted, this achieves 0 degrees of freedom with three mounts (two engine mounts and one tranny mount).

A cradle would only be needed to facilitate easy mounting, imho.

Cheers,
Sebastiaan

ps. Using the prop as the third mount would deffo be out of the question!

/edit/ Whoops, just read the original thread again and you do have three mounting points. In that case it seems OK, just as long as these mounting points don't change in relative position to eachother a lot when cornering / braking. Try jacking your chassis up at a front corner and see what happens.... You don't want to use the enine as a load bearing part if it wasn't in the bike (don't know if it was, though)

[Edited on 23/10/04 by sebastiaan]

Bob C

posted on 23/10/04 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah 3 mounts - the front mount picture is attatched.
I've got no cradle but the engine is supported on rubber for (I hope) a bit less buzz - the rubber means I can't be stressing the engine itself (that's my theory anyway). I've seen the cradles but couldn't see the justification for all that extra metal, except to create a "standard interface" to the chassis so any bike engine. will fit a "standard" chassis.
Cheers
Bob Rescued attachment engmntfr.jpg
Rescued attachment engmntfr.jpg

Hugh Jarce

posted on 24/10/04 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
I've seen the cradles but couldn't see the justification for all that extra metal, except to create a "standard interface" to the chassis so any bike engine. will fit a "standard" chassis.
Cheers
Bob

Fully agree. I've always wondered why Locosts invariably use a cradle to mount bike engines.
I've been around BECs in one form or another, in various road and race series, for many years and have not seen the point in the cradle.
It just seems like a lot of extra work and unnecessary material.
I always asumed it was a way for the manufacturers such as MK etc, to adapt a car-engined chassis to accept a bike engine without having to keep two entirely different chassis in stock.
Bob C, your Locost will be somewhat of a bone shaker compared to a normal sedan, and I very much doubt if you would notice any engine vibrations except maybe at tickover when there is quite often a "buzz" in some unsupported sheet panels.
The modern bike engines are so refined and well balanced that there is virtually no perceiveable vibration.
Some bike engines only have internal balancers just to prevent the bike's side mirrors from being blurred!

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

phil_far

posted on 24/10/04 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Agree, most BEC's do not need a cradle. The only reason why I put a cradle in is to stiffen the chassis even further. in my opinion all cradles are waste of material except the Westfield/Dax whic use a form of X brace which makes the chassis feel 20 times stiffer!!

I copied them; photos is my archieve

Philip

Peteff

posted on 24/10/04 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I did one to make handling the engine easier. It hangs level with the two lugs I left on the top mounts and I don't need to struggle to hold it up while I get the chains on. The Westy one looks very involved for what it does and seems to use more metal than my effort.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.