Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine age?
Lightybob

posted on 18/6/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Engine age?

Hi to everybody,

does anybody know how I can establish the age of my Ford Crossflow engine? I bought a part finished locost 7 project, It had been stored in the previous owners garage for the last 8 years, any way i have spent the last three months getting it ready for the SVA test, all ready, test applied for, just waiting for the date.

The engine is a Ford 1300 Crossflow, built by Burton, unfortunately their records do not go back far enough. Ford are unable to help, as it does not have a Ford engine number. there are/is an engine number plus casting numbers on the block all of which I have given to Ford but no avail. Can anybody help?

david_hornet27

posted on 18/6/11 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Burton power have the codes for engine manufacture dates here...

http://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/ford-manufacture-dates.html

Hope that helps,

Dave

Lightybob

posted on 19/6/11 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Thank's David, but unfortunately it's a bit more complicated. The engine did not come with the donor car, so no Vin number.

The engine has a number 1400AZ, this is not a Ford number.[ Ford did not put engine number on blocks that were not being put into a car]

I have tracked the history back to the original owner of the Locost, the guy who built the chassis and bought the engine.
apparently the engine was bought from a Mr Fisher, apparently the engine came out of a Westfield used for hill climbing.

I think the the engine was built by Burton from a block supplied from Ford, there is a riveted plate on the engine with a Burton product code stamped with the number 1400AS, as mention Burton's records do not apparently go back far enough.

There are other markings on the block; Ford 7116015AA, T24, and 9L9. I have sent these to the Ford technical dept, and again no joy.

I have been told that the 9L9 means 9th of Dec 1979, but I can not prove this, does anybody know if there is book or web site that can explain what the casting numbers in the block mean.

At the moment I am stuck.

Regards David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.