Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting sierra diff output flanges off
Bob C

posted on 7/8/04 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Getting sierra diff output flanges off

So I've found a granada, pulled off the half shafts & the back of the diff & located the little circlips that are keeping the flanges in. Is there a trick to getting these little bleeders off? I had to give up in the end. It looks like they're c clips rather than circlips & that they push off. Am I going to have to make a special tool? is there something I'm missing? It was all dark & filthy & horrible under there & I couldn't see a thing & I got fed up.. They'd better fit in a tripode diff after all this messing about....
cheers
Bob

bike_power

posted on 7/8/04 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
I use two screwdrivers, one to keep one end of the clip still and the other to push the other end off the shaft. It's best to use new clips when you reassemble it so don't worry about breaking them. If the diff is still in the car make sure you can get the clip out when it comes off !
cosworth

posted on 7/8/04 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
only the longer fo the two shafts will fit into a tripode type diff. You need 2 long shafts to fit a tripode diff
Bob C

posted on 8/8/04 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info guys.
Bob

Liam

posted on 9/8/04 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there

They are bas**rd c-clips. If you rotate them round so that the open part of the 'c' is facing away from you (into the diff) you will find a hole in the c-clip. I used that hole to pull the things off with some damn beefy 90 degree bend-tipped circlip pliers. That was after breaking some crap circlip pliers and a small alan key! Evil buggers.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 12/8/04 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
I used the 2 screwdriver method (+ head torch) to great effect - now sorted. The big granada diff yeilds 2 identical flanges which fit perfectly into my 7" tripode diff.
Cheers & thanks
Bob C

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.