Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: power commander! why?
R1_striker

posted on 1/5/12 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
power commander! why?

Just up graded my car to a 5pw r1. Been told by may that it needs a power commander for emissions.
Had it on the tester today and did a moke cat test and it was very close to going through even without a cat!!!!
50 HC
0.32 CO
1.1 lambda
Just a standard engine. It was way off then fire up the AIS and the emissions just fall.

All that stuff must be on there for a reason, Yamaha wouldnt waste money puttinf it on there

small tax, small insurance, huge laughs

jase380

posted on 1/5/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Fit one, have it tuned at a good rolling road then make your mind up, as you said yamaha put all that stuff in for a reason... powering a lightweight bike through a chain without a diff to a single wheel. The difference on my zx10r was like chalk and cheese after the power commander and rr set up by daytuner.It's not all about getting the car through an mot, more about the driveability of the car when set up properly. Just my opinion but for me the money spent on a power commander and tuning was the best bang for buck i spent on the whole car.

[Edited on 1/5/12 by jase380]

R1_striker

posted on 1/5/12 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
im not doubtng they give more power, just saying that people recon you cant get a bike engine through a test without one. As far as i can see its just sold as a money making sceme.
Have driven a friends striker with the same engine and no power commander and that seamed to go mighty well, got past every thing else on track (or maybe that beacause its a striker!) That car has been on the road for a few years done many track days and yet hasnt blown up or had any engine trouble. Also went throught sva emissions test first time

adithorp

posted on 1/5/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
What engine have you replaced? I only ask as the emmision limits don't change when you change the engine. They stay as they were for the old one.

Yamaha optimise the tuning to meet a lot of conditions. eg. power, ridability, noise and emmision requirements. With different exhaust (and intake) and the different usage in a car these aren't always the best for us. The noise requirements in particular cause a flat spot in the power curve around 4-5000rpm. With altered exhaust and air-box there may be weak spots in the map (that could eat pistons).
The power commander allows you to alter the fueling at all rev and throttle combinations. You can eliminate the weak spots, smooth out the power curve and hopefully gain a few horses. Rolling road session vertually transformed the drivability of my car and I gained 5-bhp
Don't underestimate the problems that can occure trying to make "nearly pass" levels into "pass". Mine (5vy) was close but I couldn't get it through without a PC.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

R1_striker

posted on 1/5/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
i took out a 4xv r1 but the car was svd'd years before i got my hands on it. We only did a cat test out of interest, plus we were trying to find a what the emissions were so we could richen it up a tad so not to burn through a piston when i dont put the air box back on.

But as i said my friends 5pw powered car has been running for years with no promblems at all, went through a cat test easy and as far as i can remember no flat spots. That car does have a home made air box on.

Dont understand why peope take the ais system off and then complain why it doesnt go through a emissions test.

Im not saying power commanders DONT work just questioning their need for emissions tests

adithorp

posted on 1/5/12 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
The AIS on mine put the lambda reading out of range for the test. The extra air bleeding through it resulted in a high lambda even with the valve shut. Don't forget the emision requirements for a bike aren't the same as a car. Besides on the 5vy a breather mod' is needed and the valve housings are very useful for that.

Checking the emmisions at low load is no garrentee they'll not be lean under load. You need either a lot of time on the road with a wideband sensor or a rolling road session to know. If your'mates passed OK then he was lucky and thats great but there's dozens that didn't.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

R1_striker

posted on 2/5/12 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
The AIS on mine put the lambda reading out of range for the test. The extra air bleeding through it resulted in a high lambda even with the valve shut.

If the lambda is out of range with the valve open or closed doesnt that point to something else not working or air coming from some where else, exhaust leak?. the ais can only get it air from the valve so if its shut, no air!!! im sure youll correct me.

My lambda at 2500 rpm was 0.97 with no cat!! Must just be lucky with engines around here

Davey D

posted on 2/5/12 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
On my 2006 5VY engine i blocked off the AIS for the SVA test to help get better readings
jelly head

posted on 3/5/12 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Injecting air into the exhaust help the cat warm up faster therefore brings the emissions down quicker, a lot of cars use this system these days on start up for that very reason.

The extra air injected in the exhaust gasses give a false lamba reading compared to what is really coming out of the cylinders so to get a true measure you need to temporarily block it off.

If you’re lucky you could get away without a power commander for the emmisions test, my R1 BEC would never have passed the test without one, it was running way too rich at idle even with the AIS running. I’ve since junked it for the breather mod.

As has already been said changing the airbox and exhaust changes the mixture requirements. In my case at higher revs the engine was running really weak and without a PC it would self destructed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.