Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX-5 Guide
Tshort1984

posted on 13/5/13 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
MX-5 Guide

Good evening all.

Firstly i would like to intoduce myself to you all. I am a 28 year old starting my build over the next few weeks. I own a fabrication shop, so obtaining steel and welders is rather easy. (although i cant weld, i can 'tack' the chassis together and get someone whos welds dont resemple pigeon poop to weld it!)

Im looking to build from scratch the MX-5 version of the haynes roadster, but i cant seem to find the full amended plans anywhere. I have downloaded the Gillham online plans, but there appears to be a few pages missing from the end. They keep refering to the 'Appendix' but i cant find it in the PDF!

Anybody out there able to help me?

Thanks

Tom

Slimy38

posted on 13/5/13 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
If you've downloaded the Gilham plans, then they should be 'complete' (barring a few measurements). I have 45 pages in a PDF.

The appendix it's referring to is likely to be in the Haynes book, 'how to build a sports car on a budget'. The Gilham plans are designed to be an update to be used on top of the main book, and you might struggle to use them on their own.

Tshort1984

posted on 13/5/13 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Slimy

Ive got the haynes book, but the online (gillham) plans finish at page 29. Ive downloaded them at work, at home and on my phone, and its the same.

Im cross referencing the mx5 guide from Gillham to the Haynes book, and im stuck at the 'Rear suspention Framework' part of the Gillham guide. It says "Cut RS4 to RS9 at the amended lengths"

Under Figure 10, it says "Amended rails are shown in the appendix" - i cant find the appendix!

Any chance you can email me your PDF?

Thanks

madteg

posted on 13/5/13 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
After you have tacked it together if you want it welding i come up to burton every other weekend, so if you want it welding up i can pick it up and drop if of to you in a fortnights time. ( I come throw swad so its no problem, i do drink Harvey Bristol Cream.)
Tshort1984

posted on 13/5/13 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Madteg - may take you up on that!

Building it in the garage at home in Swad. Although my factorys in Burton, i have no room inside. (we have a 55ft narrowboat, and 2 track cars in there) and i dont want to risk damage - especially when it gets to fitting and kitting stage.

Do you mig or tig?

madteg

posted on 13/5/13 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I can do both but i would pref to tig it.
Slimy38

posted on 13/5/13 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tshort1984
Thanks Slimy

Ive got the haynes book, but the online (gillham) plans finish at page 29. Ive downloaded them at work, at home and on my phone, and its the same.

Im cross referencing the mx5 guide from Gillham to the Haynes book, and im stuck at the 'Rear suspention Framework' part of the Gillham guide. It says "Cut RS4 to RS9 at the amended lengths"

Under Figure 10, it says "Amended rails are shown in the appendix" - i cant find the appendix!

Any chance you can email me your PDF?

Thanks

The place I got mine from is http://www.gillhamonline.co.uk/Mx-5_Build_Guide-rev3.pdf, but if that's no good send me your email in a u2u and I'll send you the copy I have. If yours stops at page 29 then you are definitely missing the important bits!

[Edited on 13/5/13 by Slimy38]

Tshort1984

posted on 13/5/13 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Slimy,

Same place as me.

U2U sent.

Thanks

Slimy38

posted on 13/5/13 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Done, hopefully that will work a bit better.
Tshort1984

posted on 13/5/13 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Much better - Thanks Slimy

Looks like Gillham are in the process of updating the guide. The layout is compleatley different!

At least i can start marking the changes in the haynes book, ready for the weekend.

Just need to get the missus to clear her horsey crap out the garage now

Madteg

I much prefer tig when the welds on show, like the wishbones and roll bar, but as long as the thing aint gonna fall apart, i dont care how its welded inside!!!

Tshort1984

posted on 21/5/13 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Morning all. Have started making the jigs for the wishbones for the MX5, and I am stuck! The Saturn guide for the rear upper wishbone jig seems to be missing a crucial dimension, Namely the position of the plate on the jig with the hole in it, and how the mirrored wishbone is positioned.

Can anyone help?

Not Anumber

posted on 21/5/13 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Have you spoken to Talon on the Haynes forum he could cast some light on this.

Tshort1984

posted on 21/5/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I haven't got a login, and you cant register. I've emailed admin twice, but nothing yet
Not Anumber

posted on 21/5/13 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
you have a u2u with email details.

dvdsaurus

posted on 7/11/13 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 guide

Hi all.

I have just stripped off my book rear end as a MX5 came up at the right price.

I am also struggling with the missing dimensions for RS4 through RS9 etc.

Can anyone help me please?

If you want to check out my fully interactive, occasionally democratic, often ranting build blog please check out here...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/157608201089962/

Cheers

Tshort1984

posted on 8/11/13 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
PM me your email, and I wil send you the old guide with all the measurements in.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.