Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Snow chains on a 4x4
hughpinder

posted on 20/12/13 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Snow chains on a 4x4

Chaps, looks like we're going to set off for the alps Sunday(last minute descision - about 10 minutes ago)! We're going in a BMW X1 (4 wheel drive variant). Can anyone tell me if I need chains for all 4 wheels, or just rears, or just fronts? Apparently the power bias is to the rear in normal driving.
Thanks for any help
Hugh

Nickp

posted on 20/12/13 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Is it too late to get a proper 4x4 like a Land Rover or HiLux??
Joking aside I've got a pair in the shed you can borrow just in case if you're willing to collect from Barnsley. They fit various sizes and I can check if you're interested?

hughpinder

posted on 20/12/13 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Nickp, Thanks for the offer, just need to find out if I need 1 set or 2 first - the X1 has 225/50/17 tyres - will the chains you've got fit?
Thanks
Hugh

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/12/13 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Getting back to the original question you should have chains on all wheels, even if you had a full locking central diff the handling between the front and the back with only chains on one axle would be very different and could prove dangerous. If you are going somewhere like the Alps you may find it is a legal requirement to have winter tyres fitted time of year anyway as is the case for a lot of Europe.

[Edited on 20/12/13 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hughpinder

posted on 20/12/13 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mr Whippy - we have michelin Alpin winter tyres on anyway - but it is a legal requirement to carry chains anyway.
I have found some references on the BMW forums saying BMW ony recommends fitting rear chains, however the main stealer can't confirm this and I can't find any reference in the owners manual.
I'm hoping/expecting I wont have to use them anyway, but have heard the police will turn you back at the bottom of the valley if you aren't carrying chains, even if you have winter tyres on.
Thanks again
Hugh

mcerd1

posted on 20/12/13 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I know that the french roads require you to fit snow chain when you see these signs to at least 2 driving wheels (when there is snow on the road at least - when there isn't damaging the road surface with chains will result in a big fine )
but I'm not sure if the rules are any different for a 4x4....

but it wouldn't hurt to fit them to all 4

the type I've got are actually approved for use in france - but I'm not sure if thats required or just because they aren't the proper old fashioned ones: http://www.easygrip.fr/en/

[Edited on 20/12/2013 by mcerd1]

-

adithorp

posted on 20/12/13 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
From what I've seen when skiing it'scommon to only fit them on the rear. If you've got Mich Alpins on though you'll probably never have to fit them (though they are a requirement once you start up to the resort. Snow socks for all 4 would be an alternative but a grey area with the regulations I'm lead to believe.

Often recommended on a ski forum I frequent... Worth a practice session before you go as you don't want to be learning in a blizzard at night. Also pack them with a set of gloves and something to kneel on (plastic sack) while fitting.

Where are you going? I'm off to Alp D'Huez tomorrow (flying).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Nickp

posted on 20/12/13 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
The chains are probably a bit big TBH, they fit a range of tyre sizes though. The nearest to yours are 225/65/17 and 245/55/17. If you just want some to carry (and possibly use in an emergency) then your welcome to collect.
hughpinder

posted on 20/12/13 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all
I'm off to Tignes. Have found my local motor factors have a set of TUV approved ones for £50 in stock, so I think I'll buy them.
Special thanks to Nickp for the offer of the loan, but I think times a bit tight to squeeze in a blat over to you as well as get all the gear ready.
Cheers
Hugh

adithorp

posted on 20/12/13 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
I know that the french roads require you to fit snow chain when you see these signs to at least 2 driving wheels (when there is snow on the road at least - when there isn't damaging the road surface with chains will result in a big fine )
but I'm not sure if the rules are any different for a 4x4....

but it wouldn't hurt to fit them to all 4

the type I've got are actually approved for use in france - but I'm not sure if thats required or just because they aren't the proper old fashioned ones: http://www.easygrip.fr/en/

[Edited on 20/12/2013 by mcerd1]

As I understand it, it's not compulsory to fit them even if it snows as long as you can keep going. The issue is if you go past one of these signs then GET STUCK and don't have them. Then the police WILL fine you. Of course it's a judgement call as to when to fit; It's better to choose/find a safe place to do it, than get stuck on a blind bend and need to do it.

adithorp

posted on 20/12/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Worth pre-planning your route and putting it into your sat-nav with suitable way-points to avoid the closures, as they do have a habit of taking you via unpassable/closed roads.

Nickp

posted on 20/12/13 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
Thanks all
I'm off to Tignes. Have found my local motor factors have a set of TUV approved ones for £50 in stock, so I think I'll buy them.
Special thanks to Nickp for the offer of the loan, but I think times a bit tight to squeeze in a blat over to you as well as get all the gear ready.
Cheers
Hugh

No probs, have a good / safe trip

russbost

posted on 20/12/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
If you already have winter tyres (which there is NO requirement for in France) then the chances of you needing chains with any sort of 4 wheel drive on the roads to Tignes is absolutely minimal. You only need to fit them if you are unable to proceed without, tho' sometimes if road conditions are very bad police will be forcing you to fit at one of the chainage stops - this is highly unusual!

Don't forget you also need to carry Hi viz jacket which must be accessible by the driver, warning triangle, bulbs & 2 x breathalysers. If you're sat nav has speed cameras programmed in I think you'll find it's illegal to even carry in France even if not switched on!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
renetom

posted on 20/12/13 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
chains

Hi
Yes you need two sets of chains on a 4X4
These Michelin ones are great easy to fit quiter & don't damage
road surface like the metal ones.

Description
Description

Enjoy.

[Edited on 20/12/13 by renetom]

britishtrident

posted on 20/12/13 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
If you fit chains to only one axle the ABS, EBS and traction control will throw up a wheel speed sensor fault code and revert to normal braking

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

jase380

posted on 20/12/13 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Can't see you needing chains with 4 wheel drive and winter tyres, I've driven through heavy snow in front wheel drive hire cars with snow tyres in Flaine, val thorens, livigno to mention a few and never had a problem.. you might get a couple with chains on overtake you on the mountain roads but you'll pass them 20 mins later in a layby taking them off !!. I had avon ice touring tyres on my merc estate when driving abroad, just used to run them a bit softer than when on the motorways.
mcerd1

posted on 21/12/13 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by renetom
These Michelin ones are great easy to fit quiter & don't damage
road surface like the metal ones.

Description
Description

that's the ones I've got for sale at the moment

unfortunately mine are the wrong size for his X1

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.