Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: install windows vista
02GF74

posted on 19/3/14 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
install windows vista

I am looking for a s/h laptop, same make model as mine. There are a few on ebay installed with windows 7 but I would like to use windows vista (seems a good idea to keep things the same). I have the origainl dell operaing system disc for vista business - so would this be usable on the other laptop.?

Scuzzle

posted on 19/3/14 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
You would be as well using the Windows 7 that comes on your new laptop, it's not all that much different an experience and Windows 7 uses a lot less system resources to run so you will see better performance from it.

If you have your windows Vista disc and an activation code you can stick it on your new laptop if you want though.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 19/3/14 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Why anyone would pick vista over windows 7 is beyond me. They look the same but windows 7 is so much better.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

chillis

posted on 19/3/14 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
MS are ending support for XP in april and the end of support for vista wont be far behind. Vista is crap anyway, go to windows 7 which is like vista but works properly. My dell d630 came with vista and a bunch of problems that drove me up the wall. put a 500gb hdd in and windows 7 and its transformed to lappy. No more BSOD for me, or internet hoods locking the vista with ransomware (that was happening almost weekly in the end as the vista architecture is week)

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

02GF74

posted on 22/3/14 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
ok, I didn't realise win7 was a worthwhile improvement.

.... but reason for asking about this is that the laptop is for my sister who is to technology and computers what Mike Tyson is to simple arithmetic - if we both have the same OS, I would be able to take her through the steps.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 22/3/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you can use vista you can use win7. It's very similar but just much better

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

me!

posted on 22/3/14 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly OT, the mother in law has Vista on her laptop, and it got hideously full of ransomware and all sorts of stuff, as well as being basically cr@p. Can windows 7 still be got cheaply, or will I need to get hold of 8.1? I worry that 8.1 is too different to XP/Vista for a technophobic 65 year old!

I have had a quick look, but I'm unsure about buying copies of windows off ebay!

Dick Axtell

posted on 12/4/14 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scuzzle
You would be as well using the Windows 7 that comes on your new laptop, it's not all that much different an experience and Windows 7 uses a lot less system resources to run so you will see better performance from it.

OK - So I,ve loaded Windows 7, now how do I get all my other software back up? No sign of it anywhere within new op system.

BTW, I changed from XP, so it's all completely new to me. Any help will b appreciated!

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Scuzzle

posted on 12/4/14 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
What kind of programs are you looking for, usually you would back up what you want to keep onto a portable HDD and install it back on once your new OS is installed but Windows 7 is 2 generations later than XP so there's a chance some of it might not be compatible.
Dick Axtell

posted on 12/4/14 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply. Have backed (I.e. Copied) all old Windows XP based files on to separate HDD. Can retrieve these when needed. However, I cannot set up/retrieve existing progs, even tho I can find them in Windows.old.

What steps are needed to reset the allegedly Windows 7 compatible progs?s

Scuzzle

posted on 12/4/14 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried running them in compatibility mode and how long has the windows 7 been installed. There are usually just under 100 updates that load up under the windows update option that upgrade the OS so has the Windows Update option been updated until there are none left.
Dick Axtell

posted on 14/4/14 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scuzzle
Have you tried running them in compatibility mode and how long has the windows 7 been installed. There are usually just under 100 updates that load up under the windows update option that upgrade the OS so has the Windows Update option been updated until there are none left.
than

Thanks for suggestion. So, more MS updates!! Will give it a go.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.