Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 FI or carbed?
Winston Todge

posted on 22/11/04 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
R1 FI or carbed?

Hey all, just a quick one...

I'm fairly certain I can source a good R1 motor from the US with a carbed version not being that much cheaper than an FI. Are there any advantages of the FI motor over the carbs? More power? Easier to setup with aftermarket pipes and headers?

Any input'd be appreciated!

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bo

posted on 22/11/04 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Carbs or FI

Hi

The difference in power are very small, It will be a little easier to get through Emmisions testing with the FI model I guess, and it will to a certain degree self adjust to MINOR changes in exhaust etc, but you will probably still need some kind of add-on adjuster. (powercommander or something)

I suppose that we are talking about the 02/03 engine here. The 04/05 is a different beast with much more power. But fairly untested in cars.

MarkClow

posted on 22/11/04 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
R1 was carbed 98 through 2001.

Went fuel injection in 2002 through 2003. Not many changes and not much more power. Had excellent fuel injection - very smooth for a bike implementation.

Complete revision for 2004. Much more topend power but corresponding decline in midrange and low rpm torque.

I know you have already sourced your engine but FYI here is a good US website for bike engined cars:

http://dsr.racer.net/

[Edited on 22/11/04 by MarkClow]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.