Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fiberglass seat fixing straight to flooring
bikecarbfred

posted on 29/5/22 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Fiberglass seat fixing straight to flooring

any ideas what these VW floors are made of. you knock on them and they feel like cardboard.
I've checked underneath and fuel line etc are well out of the way.

Worth just drilling through to mounting my subframe work or shall I just tack-weld a strip of 3mm flat bar on each side just for
insurance and drillstraight through that and the floor at same time.

of course using extra large washers on the under side.

regards.

adithorp

posted on 30/5/22 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
The floodpan will be steel. Pressed with ridges that you can see from underneath to stop them flexing. What's on top of them could be a lot of things. Looks like as a combination of noise deadening and to provide s flat surface from what I can make out.

If you're drilling through with the board in place I guess you're going to have to have some sort of spacer between board and floor pan unless the underside is moulded to match the pan.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/5/22 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
My experience of VW's is their floors are made of rust held together with underseal...you might even encounter some quality repairs using some half cured GRP matt.

Have you tried sitting in them in the car? most of the GRP seats I seen and own have practically your butt 10mm off the floor. One of those in a Golf, you wouldn't even see over the dash!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bikecarbfred

posted on 30/5/22 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Lmao yeah there is some grp VW must have put in . On top side you can just notice it .

And yeah you can’t see over dash loool. But I’ve made a subframe
Bracket lightweight out of aluminium 6mm flat bars. I think safest bet is to weld steel 3mm flat bar on the side rails

nick205

posted on 30/5/22 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Are these things not made for the job

[Edited on 30/5/22 by nick205]

bikecarbfred

posted on 30/5/22 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
They are but a lot of these shell seats have thier fixing underneath.
Plus those side mounts you have pictures would have to be drilling into floor anyway .

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/5/22 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go with your idea of the 3mm flat bar on the inside, some big penny washers on the underside would be fine. Mind to use new nylocks and if they frames you've made are steel then I'd weld the head of the bolts to the frame so they don't turn when your under the car tightening them up.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 31/5/22 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
The “cardboard like material” is compressed fibre sound deadening specifically designed to absorb moisture and rot floors out, on some cars they were glued down with a tar like substance that made removing the fibre almost impossible.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

nick205

posted on 31/5/22 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
The “cardboard like material” is compressed fibre sound deadening specifically designed to absorb moisture and rot floors out, on some cars they were glued down with a tar like substance that made removing the fibre almost impossible.

Pretty accurate description there. Removing it from tin tops if you plan to use the cae for any form of competition will remove a fair chunk of weight from the vehicle. "Lightness = speed" as they say.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.