Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Challenger track test
chaos999

posted on 23/4/05 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Challenger track test

Yesterday I was at Llandow for the Track Test of my Triumph Challenger. Really to sort out how it will handle when pushed. On road it had felt okay, turns in well and put power down.

1st part of day was dry and sunny so set out after getting car off trailer. 1st corner, I turn in and it feels all funny, infact a front wheel was off the ground on every corner (I thought relatively slow) but oh dear! The mono rear setup had no roll resistance and caused the wheel to lift (diagonally opposite).

Did two laps and came in...

Darren had some shocks and a couple of push rods. The rods cross braced the rockers providing roll resistance and the shocks ran down from rocker to wishbone.

All a bit tight in there with worries on brake lines getting in springs and shock hitting wishbone.

Different car! It now would take corners a little quicker but suffered from huge understeer but not progressive. You turn into corner and it seems to start to bite and then gone, then bites a bit and then gone. Front is so stiff and just not offering any compliance or suspension whatsoever.

I did many laps to get the feel. You can drive round it to a certain extent but essentially can not load up the front on a corner so it just understeers. Traction with the new rear was amazing to say the least. The triumph engine indeed the challenger was well suited to Llandow, hitting rev limit is 6th on the home straight just fractionally before the braking point.

Brakes, wow, they amazed me, but then I was not happy to really push the entry to corners. Slow speed corners the power can go on so early and no spin!!

After lunch it rained. So I went to play... Even though the understeer was crazy and the front unpredicatable at all times, the car essentially felt good and really will handle well once the front is sorted.

In the wet on road tyres I turned in a few lap times with the best at 55 secs. NOw my CBR1000 Striker was on 48 ish in the DRY, and the challenger feels quicker and will better those times in the DRY once the front suspension is sorted.

Just goes to show that normal everyday road driving nowhere near gives you the real feedback of how the car will handle. The track was ideal as there were no cars coming the other way!

The challenger really does have a good base to work from and as I said, once the front suspension is sorted it will be a real cracker, I'll be in search of more power.

Darren, thanks for comming up and that rear setup really does work now, although those shocks are on there full max height aren't they??

The rear rockers are going to be re-fabricated and fixed and the front is going to be outboard although be nice to do similar to rear!!??

Simon

I love speed :-P

posted on 23/4/05 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
nice, cant wait for mine 2 be finished

Phil

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 23/4/05 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Simon,
I think the Challenger must be my "jinx" as i set out to come but ended up with a puncture....then dickhead here remembers he hadn't done anything about the spare........argh!!!! bald as a coot so i had to head back home ....I knackered my shoulder just before the Detling show so never got to see it then either.
Always had the feeling the front end was pants...shame the mad idea for a mono shocked rear is pants too.........
Pissed at not being there to hear it on the limiter in 6th....cool noise i bet, nice and anti social like a stroker with spannies
If i can do owt just shout.
Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chaos999

posted on 23/4/05 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Darren told me you were gutted.

The rear setup Darren chucked on kept the triangular rockers mounted to chassis rails on top put put in a pushrod to each from the other so they were cross braced for roll resistance. This really worked well and traction was spot on. Only issues left are that the shocks are on full height already so can not go any more, brake line in one coil and the shock body rubbing on top wishbone.

I think it would be better with a nice billet fabricated rocker there in place of the triangular section at moment.

The front is going to get outboard setup so needs a bracket each side, or maybe a rocker and anti-roll??

Simon

Triton

posted on 24/4/05 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Simon,
Can you get the welding done local?......had a daft idea but perhaps best left in the wheelie bin......

chaos999

posted on 24/4/05 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
and the idea is???

Simon

Triton

posted on 24/4/05 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Simon,
Email me mate as i can't find your address......then i will let you in on the daft idea
Mark

Triton

posted on 6/5/05 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Simon,
Got it sorted then?.......cars.....wotta a larf they are.....better off with two wheels

chaos999

posted on 9/5/05 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully sorted

Well, according to sources it is actually ready. Still need to get over to Bristol tomorrow and try and see if some odd shocks lying around fit on okay.

New brackets on front to take outboard shocks/coilovers, these have also been cross braced. Rear has been altered to add solid brackets for running outboard shocks and a cross brace for strength.

Also now have a trailer so that's all good. Have some greenstuff pads to pit to rear and hopefully it will all be good. Do not know how it will handle yet, but indication is that it will be great.

It felt strong and rear certainly worked after ditching rear mono shock. Ran a solid front effectively, very stiff!! and tended to wash out, well no surprise there. Hopefully all will be well and the car will run well in class at the French Hillclimb this weekend.

Looks like it could be a wet event so even better. Only 'race' speed miles I have done have been in wet / standing water!

Cheers
Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.