Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Long Reach Pruners
I love speed :-P

posted on 23/6/05 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Long Reach Pruners

For an a level exam i have to research long reach pruners i.e. the mechanism, the materials used etc, and was wondering if any of you have got one, and could tell me the mechanism i.e. pulleys or levers and how hard it is to cut tress etc and if possible what is made from, and photos?

Thanks Very Much Phil

[Edited on 23/6/2005 by I love speed :-P]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 23/6/05 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
way back in the day i used to work in a garden centre. we sold them by the ton, think they must keep breaking or something. anyway, to cut a long story short (no pun intended), there are quite a few designs out there.
some have a 1/4 pully which acts as a cam when the lever is pulled, closing the jaws; others are like giant scissors. for long reach think the cam ones (not unlike weber carb linkage mechanism thinking about it) are the most popular. dont know any websited but places like ck, wolf tools, spear and jackson whould get you going. and/or go to a shop with digicam and take some pics, sure its fine if you tell them what its for.
have a look steel microstructure at the sharpened blade edge (if you can get one to take apart) - some funky heat treatment processes in the higher quality blades for longer life.
good luck,
zane

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.