Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "Not very" adhesive
Humbug

posted on 12/7/05 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
"Not very" adhesive

A couple of weeks ago I stuck foam and then vinyl on a number of panel pieces for the tunnel top and boot space cover. They are not yet fitted, but looked fine so I put them aside. I was just looking at them and the folded over bits of vinyl seems to be coming unstuck in various places.

I used Loctite spray adhesive, and the panels are aluminium. Any suggestions for fixing it back that don't involve pulling all the vinyl off and redoing it? I though perhaps using gaffer tape???

Mix

posted on 12/7/05 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Use contact adhesive, Evo stick, Copydex etc.

Mick

Hellfire

posted on 12/7/05 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
We had the same problem - on the material and the foam - the first and second layers are to be considered as sealing layers. The next layers should stick! It's quite xpensive stuff so I'd recommend going the other way - alternatively on this build we used the tried and trusted PU adhesive and spread it full on the vinyl... it's not coming off now!!!

HTH

RoadkillUK

posted on 12/7/05 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Contact adhesive does a good job, took mine off the other day and it was a bit a bugger

Also the 'carpet' on the tunnel was soaked in gear oil (the reason it came out), I have to get a new seal.

I've also just recently made some panel fillers and covered the 'boot' using spray carpet glue from 'Wickes'. I'll let you know how it holds

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 12/7/05 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Also worth giving the ally a quick wipe over with a rag soaked in panel wipe to degrease the ally first. I use brake clean, but is simmilar, ie a quick evaporating degreaser. Dont forget the protective gloves and glasses etc..

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 13/7/05 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Would hot melt adhesive work? Im thinking of covering my Triton style seat bases and gluing the vinyl to fibreglass with hot melt - anybody any experiences of this??

Syd Bridge

posted on 13/7/05 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Try double sided carpet tape. Then set it with a hot air blower.
britishtrident

posted on 14/7/05 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Evo-stick contact adhesive --- or you could try the contact adhesive Poundland sell -- I haven't tried the contact type but the 2 part Epoxy they sell is great stuff.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.