Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V6 Cologne
macintosh

posted on 26/7/05 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
V6 Cologne

Hi everyone,

I spotted out very nice V6 2.3 Cologne (carburettor) for reasonable price - 63 EUR (not bought yet).
Trouble is, gearbox end is broken, so I'll need new gearbox.

What gearbox will fit nicely on this engine?
and will any Sierra diff will be fine or have to I find something special?

Right now seems to me that there is Type 9 gearbox fitted, but that can not be right as far as i know. What do you think?

Waht is overall opinion about this engine?

[Edited on 26-7-05 by macintosh]

NS Dev

posted on 26/7/05 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
It will be a heavy duty type 9 gearbox, I guess it was in a Taunus??? (don't really know the european models very well!)

Sierra diff will be fine. This engine was used (in the UK at least) in the sierra 2.3 ghia.

Other sources for the same gearbox are (in "UK models"!) mk 2 granada v6 models, early mk3 granada v6 models, sierra 2.3 ghia (though most were auto), capri 2.8i (late ones) and sierra XR4i (plus the Merkur XR4ti)

The engine is very heavy for the power that it generates, but it is nice and revvy, and probably worth 63 euros for the inlet manifold and carburettor. These will then bolt straight onto the 2.8 litre cologne engine, which is much better and exactly the same dimensionally.

If you build your car around the 2.3 engine, and look out for a 2.8, then put the carb and manifold from the 2.3 onto that you should be fine.

They are both very heavy engines, that is the downside!

[Edited on 26/7/05 by NS Dev]

macintosh

posted on 26/7/05 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
It will be a heavy duty type 9 gearbox, I guess it was in a Taunus??? (don't really know the european models very well!)

No, it's taken off from Sierra 1983. Do not know model :-( and can not find out.
quote:

Other sources for the same gearbox are (in "UK models"!) mk 2 granada v6 models, early mk3 granada v6 models, sierra 2.3 ghia (though most were auto), capri 2.8i (late ones) and sierra XR4i (plus the Merkur XR4ti)

Granada and Capri are models allmost impossible to find in Estonia. Best bet ist Sierra.

quote:

They are both very heavy engines, that is the downside!

Any idea how heavy? If i compare to Pinto engine - I can get whole car with 2L pinto, but it has been little bit rebuilt to accept metan gas. I have heard that old engines metan with gas do wear out very guickly.

NS Dev

posted on 26/7/05 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
right, the car that the engine came from will be a Sierra 2.3 ghia, most were automatic transmission but this must be from a rare manual one.

I don't know the weight but I would guess, having moved both on my engine crane, that the v6 is 50% heavier than the Pinto 4 cyl.

If you have the option, the pinto is probably better as it is easier to get parts for, especially in your part of the world I would think.

I don't know the car market in Estonia but are BMW 4 cylinder cars more common? There is no reason not to use a BMW 318 engine or similar from the earlier models, if parts are easier to get for you (I guess Fords didn't sell as well as the german makes)

James

posted on 26/7/05 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Estonian 7 manufacturer:

http://www.racetech.ee/

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

NS Dev

posted on 26/7/05 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
mmmmmm, interesting. Was going to suggest that BMW 4 cylinder engine and 5 speed box from a 318, coupled to a Lada live axle would probably be an effective solution in Estonia, but didn't really know the availabilty of 318's, but I guessed that they were a lot more common than most Fords.

It seems that Estfield have used this drivetrain a fair bit.

macintosh

posted on 26/7/05 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Estonian 7 manufacturer:

http://www.racetech.ee/

Thanks for the tip James

I have visited their site, and have seen their cars. But they are building on standard chassis and their quality does not actually match my requirements
Rolling part of thir cars comes from Lada and Lada is crap, I mean real crap. Besides, 14" wheels are max what you can put on. If I want Lada I'll buy one - no reason to manufacture them myself
But Lada is really cheap, you can get them from starting 32 EUR.

macintosh

posted on 26/7/05 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
mmmmmm, interesting. Was going to suggest that BMW 4 cylinder engine and 5 speed box from a 318, coupled to a Lada live axle would probably be an effective solution in Estonia, but didn't really know the availabilty of 318's, but I guessed that they were a lot more common than most Fords.

No. Actually you are misleaded. Ford (specially Sierra) is still most common car in Estonian roads an wreckyeards :-). Plenty of them available.

For wrecked BMW they still ask too much - not worth it.

quote:

It seems that Estfield have used this drivetrain a fair bit.

Yes, Estfield uses Lada live axle exclusively and for a reason- it is cheap and easy to find. Lada live axe can be found just for thanks - perfectly rolling car can be bought starting from 32 EUR.

But I can not use Lada live axle - My locost chassis will be 4" inces wider than standard so Lada's axle will be too narrow

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.