Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Indy Insurance
Grahame L

posted on 27/9/05 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Indy Insurance

Just been quoted £204 for fully comprehensive insurance on my indy blade from Adrian Flux, and I think that is quite reasonable taking into account that the agreed value is £10,000.

My query is that they only insure on the chassis no for 30 days so if you fail the sva first time round and can't get the car re-tested & registered in that 30 day period you have to re-insure losing the first premium. Has anyone else come across this and got any suggestions other than trailer the car to the sva?

Can't pass up the chance of driving to the test can i

Thanks

Grahame

tomkidd

posted on 27/9/05 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
age?

Out of interest, Can I ask how old you are... Im not trying to pick you up by the way
shortie

posted on 27/9/05 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I was with Adrian Flux and came across this problem, although I passed SVA (2nd time, re-test one day later) I went on holiday for two weeks before registration.

I rang Adrian Flux and explained the situation and they extended the cover for a couple of weeks.

I must say I couldn't fault their customer service.

Remember the cover only covers the drive to and from SVA, as long as you tell them and you have a booked appointment you can also drive to an MOT and the DVLA inspection.

HTH,
Rich.

Grahame L

posted on 27/9/05 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Rich!! It seems they may be quite helpfull if I encounter any probs, think i'll insure day before sva just to be on the safe side

Tomkidd, I'm 36 going on six!!

DarrenW

posted on 27/9/05 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
It sounds to me that the 30 day rule is a blanket rule. They have to state something otherwise people would take forever to sort it out and their records would be held open. I bet they would normally be reasonable about the extended period as long as you are fair and keep them informed.

You could shorten your exposure time by having DVLA build up inspection completed before SVA. Ive just had mine done. At least then if you take 3 weeks to get SVA pass you are not pressured to push DVLA to complete within a week (which is nigh on impossible).

£204 sounds like a cracking good quote. Ive been worried about mine as my NCB is used to insure my maincar. Did you have to take silly excess or daft terms??

Grahame L

posted on 27/9/05 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
No Darren, no daft terms, they stated I must provide six photographs and surrender £200 excess in the event of a claim. However, they don't offer a NCB scheme so it won't reduce through careful driving!! Regarding the build up inspection, what do they do when they come out and how does it save you time, because I was under the impresion that you had to send off all info after sva whether an inspection hs taken place or not?

gingerprince

posted on 27/9/05 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Kit cars and NCB in general

Slight thread hijack here, sorry, but a quick question. Does insurance for kit cars generally disregard NCB? Seeing as 99% of people who own them also have a "main car"? So they just quote on the car itself and presumably claim history, or do they do the equivelant of "mirroring" your main NCB?
shortie

posted on 27/9/05 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
They usually just ignore it as it's a limited mileage policy usually anyway.

Rich.

DarrenW

posted on 27/9/05 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grahame L
No Darren, no daft terms, they stated I must provide six photographs and surrender £200 excess in the event of a claim. However, they don't offer a NCB scheme so it won't reduce through careful driving!! Regarding the build up inspection, what do they do when they come out and how does it save you time, because I was under the impresion that you had to send off all info after sva whether an inspection hs taken place or not?

Sounds like a really good deal. Nice to hear you have a decent value. I know you can build the cars for less but if you had to re-build you wont be keen to shop araound as much to save time therefore will probs pay premium prices next time round - of course here is hoping you never will.
ref build up inspection i think some local office policies are different. All i did was write to my local office (Stockton). The inspector called me next day to arrange inspection. This has been done pre SVA. Now all i have to do is take all docs they need in after SVA and correct docs will be issued next day to me hence saving a lot of time thro not having to wait for inspection. I was told that before SVA the car is not driveable so they come out free of charge etc. After SVA the car is basically roadworthy so they would have told me to bring it in. Stockton have been fantastic and even confirmed no MOT required for registration or for next 3 years. I strongly recommend this approach - its worth the letter.

greggors84

posted on 27/9/05 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Adrian Flux and i think it depends on what insurance company they find for you, wether they will extend the 30 days or not. They give you 14 days to cancel the policy anyway, or you can cancel the policy at any time and just lose the month you have paid for, so not much really.

I'm with Highway insurance through Adrian Flux and these were the terms for me.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

kevano

posted on 27/9/05 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
insured my indy blade fully comp with my father as a named driver for £235 and i'm 25 was well pleased as my TT cost £2500 to insure!!!!!
kevano

posted on 27/9/05 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
sorry, was with "osbourne and sons" aka link insurance
greggors84

posted on 28/9/05 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
My 30 days run out, I called them and they refunded my 11 months anyway.

I reinsured for less than I paid in the first place so didnt lose out.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.