Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car cover or car cap
Humbug

posted on 27/9/05 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Car cover or car cap

I think I would like to have some sort of cover for the car (ST with no screen) but having a full tonneau made seems like "midcost" at best, rather than locost. I have seen some other threads about car covers from Argos, etc. but it seems to me that the full car covers could be a bit bulky to carry round.

Has anyone used car caps (designed to fit on the roof and windos of a normal tin-top)? I have seen this from Argos at £14.99:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=3801&langId=-1&searchTerms=car+cap

upside is it doesn't appear to be shaped for a normal roof, so presumalby would fit better on a Seven

downside is it looks a bit industrial.

Halfords also do one, for £19.99, which looks a bit better but seems to have quite defined shaping for the roof/screen angle, so might not fit so well.

http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=16767&type=0&cat=30

Anyone tried either of these? any problems?

Cheers

indykid

posted on 27/9/05 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
i can have a look at a halfords one next time i'm at work.

will be in tomorrow, so will get back to you tomorrow night assuming i remember.
will write it on my hand in the morning, that should do the trick

tom

JoelP

posted on 27/9/05 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
when i asked in halfords, she only had a £60 one left. The one in your link would probably blow off in the wind.

The argos one is very good, but also a bit large to carry about with you, it fills my entire footwell. Plus, you cant put it on whilst the exhaust is hot.

[Edited on 27/9/05 by JoelP]

kevano

posted on 30/9/05 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
i got a cap actually intended to fit a metro!
really light folds into a neat little bag doesn't way anything and is totally waterproof, with four elastic straps with hooks on.
£1.50 OFF EBAY!!! BARGAIN

JoelP

posted on 30/9/05 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
mine blows away

indykid

posted on 1/10/05 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
sorry humbug, completely forgot to reply to this thread, i got the cover out on wednesday, and had a play, just forgot to reply.

anyway, from what i could gather, without having my car at work, it is shaped to fit the roof, but not terribly distinctly. it's lightweight, and fits into a packet about 7"x5"x1.5". the only thing ids that i can see with the slightest gust of wind, it'd be ready to take off. it's got straps, but they've got hooks so wouldn't really be suitable to attach to anything on a 7.

it's worth a shot if you fancy adjusting it to fit, but not all that practical in its standard state.

i'd go for a tonneau
hth
tom

Humbug

posted on 1/10/05 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the various replies. Sounds like the car cap is a bit too much like a sail!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.