Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Heater plumbing
smart51

posted on 4/10/05 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Heater plumbing

I have got a heater that I will plumb in after SVA. I am going to the Donnington show where I'll pick up a few things that I need.

I was going to plumb the heater in "in parallel" with the radiator but I have just thought that if the heater fan is off, the heater will just be a short circuit across the radiator for the hot water. What do I need to plumb into the heater circuit to prevent this and can you get a dash mounted control for it?

RazMan

posted on 4/10/05 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Modern engines usually have heater take-offs built into the block, leaving the radiator run as simple as possible. Having the heater core in parallel might confuse the thermostat.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 4/10/05 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
I am using a bike engine. There is no heater on the donor.
I'm hoping to get a flow regulator witha dial or slider for the dashboard. That way I can turn the water off when the weather is nice and only turn it on when it's cold. I could just fit an inline tap but I'd have to stop and lift the bonnet to adjust the heating.

awinter

posted on 4/10/05 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Honda civic / CRX have little valves on one side of the heater matrix and use a stiff wire rod to open and close the valve fron inside the car. maybe you could try one of these?
RazMan

posted on 4/10/05 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
RS Components do a 12v solenoid actuated water valve which would be ideal in this situation - just have a switch on the dash.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.