New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 1:8 scale balsacost!
millenniumtree

posted on 7/10/05 at 03:04 AM Reply With Quote
1:8 scale balsacost!

Introducing, the balsacost, 1:8 scale!

Balsa Frame 3
Balsa Frame 3

It's already at least 12 inches long, and will probably end up around 14 inches. It's a straight book-build, but with balsa & superglue instead of steel.

I will probably do the suspension in steel or copper wire with real springs, with some fake look-alike struts, should be a working (if not performance) suspension.

Let me know what you think, and where I might find a very accurate 4-banger 1:8 scale engine. (not one that runs! but a cheap source for a look-alike) (even if it's made of thimbles and string) Any suggestions at all of where to locate parts that look like the real thing would be welcome.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 7/10/05 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good so far.

Try your local model shop, they might beable to help with some RC suspension if you can find the right scale

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Triton

posted on 7/10/05 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Get a model Fireblade and knick the engine

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 7/10/05 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Danozeman

posted on 7/10/05 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Iv got/had a model fzr. the engine would be just about the right size!!!

Id like to se the finished article.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Simon

posted on 8/10/05 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton

I have a Tamiya 1/12th Scale Mini (proper one) and am going to buy a 1/12th scale hayabusa for the engine etc.

Should keep the next project on a tight budget!!!!!

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 8/10/05 by Simon]

scotty g

posted on 8/10/05 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good so far. I have thought about doing something similar myself but time always seems to be against me.
Keep us posted on your progress.

JoelP

posted on 8/10/05 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
its very easy to use a hot glue gun. I just found the accurate cutting a triffle fiddly.

chris_smith

posted on 8/10/05 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
might be useful???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-1-12-Caterham-Super-Seven-7-JPE-Model-10203-New_W0QQitemZ6002550319QQcategoryZ80548QQcmdZViewItem
steve m

posted on 8/10/05 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
i can see now why i dont bother coming on this site !!!

some builders on this site could not manage a balsa model in 5 years let alone the real thing made from scatch as per the book
looks left, hears one i made earler

[Edited on 8/10/05 by steve m]

JoelP

posted on 8/10/05 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
i can see why no one missed you...

maybe thats a bit harsh, but whilst we're having fun doing things, you just chip in with one liners and pisstakes.

[Edited on 8/10/05 by JoelP]

steve m

posted on 8/10/05 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to wee of the genuine builders, but i started my car in 1997, from the book,
and finished in 1999 all from scratch, and with no other help what so ever and this site wasnt even thought about
just a figment of imagination!

now we have somthing like 5800 members of which 500 might finish a car
the rest are dreamers and will only accumualte a pile of bits, also when this site was first availabale it was for the use of gathering or furthering the knowledge of building a car

now if we look down the top 10 posters i make it that only 5 out of ten actually have a car on the road

does this not say something ??

steve

[Edited on 8/10/05 by steve m]

JoelP

posted on 8/10/05 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
well, without commenting on the rest of the builders, making models is an important part of visualising the chassis strengths/weaknesses, and working out which bits are going to be hard to make. Maybe this isnt as applicable to a book locost, but its still a fun excercise.

Maybe most of the people here wont finish a car (i counted more than 5 of the top 10 though) but its the trying thats the fun. Ive felt like giving up many times.

I guess this is a more general community than it was when it began, some people build genuine locosts, some build the 7 kits, some scratch build to their own designs, some modify production cars, some just dream and learn, and others just post jokes... and then theres internet addicts like me

Fred W B

posted on 8/10/05 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yea, what JoelP said.

I find the site entertaining, very informative, and it keeps up my enthusiasm to keep going on my build.

If it consisted only of people who were actually seriously building, a lot less would be posted as everyone would be in the garage!

SteveM, you have spent enough time to post 480 times since you finished your car in 97 (or was it 99?), so you are at least passing on the knowledge, why stress that some people may not finish anything - leaves more parts floating around for the rest of us.

Cheers

Fred WB

steve m

posted on 8/10/05 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
ok
thanks for the reply, If as I do know someone was to make a non standard chassis, then the idea of a balsa model is a very good start, but a book chassis ????

sorry, i do not see were that is coming from,
my car is built from "the book edition one", with all its flaws and inaccuarcies (spelling?) and i did it ok, just had to rejig some measurements

as you say some people are internet addicts, and yes i spend time here, but, if i had asked a question and waited for some response at every time i was stuck, then i would still be building now, as every one has a different approach to what to do, and what is correct, then to add the muppets (at least 1000 on here) who havent a clue how to change a light bulb let alone build a car!!
it is quite obvious why so many will fail

sorry for my response, as having been on the road for 6 years, and been to so many shows, over these years I have met some of the most amazing muppets on this planet, and some of the questions i have had, (ask other guys that are on the road, what they have been asked ??) defy all reasonable doubt!!
i have also met some really cool guys that have asked very reasonable questions, you will find that out when you go to a show

there should be a law stopping some of these idiots picking up a welder!!

Fred, your correct! and as you say only 480 posts, but I do have a car on the road finished may 1999

ive had a recount and out of the top ten
i count 5 real book locosts, and 2 kits

still not very good tho is it

G.Man

posted on 8/10/05 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Well, as long as the people who are members here enjoy themselves does it really matter?

Didn't realise there was a band of Locost nazi police about to make sure we all do things by the book and nout else

:rolleyes:

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Rorty

posted on 9/10/05 at 04:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
..i started my car in 1997, from the book, and finished in 1999 all from scratch, and with no other help what so ever

Can I have your autograph?
And there was me thinking Muppets were soft fluffy hand puppets.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Spyderman

posted on 9/10/05 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Geez, I didn't know you had to qualify you're presence here by having already finished a build?

There was me thinking in all innocence that we were here to help each other during our builds!
How wrong can an old fool be? (no, don't answer that!)

Terry

Spyderman

chrisg

posted on 9/10/05 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ha,

that's just made me have a sneeky look to see if I'm in the top ten again - and I am!

Cool.

I've finished my car if that helps with the calculations.

Does it matter? Quite a few people see the internet as entertainment, and you might think that people who've finished their cars would post less, if at all.

I think that generally most people who've finished see coming in and answering questions as a way of helping out - giving a bit back if you like.

I see all as welcome.

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 9/10/05 by chrisg]

chris_smith

posted on 9/10/05 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
to be frank i think the site is fabulous and if it wasnt here i would have thrown the towel in a long time ago, as well as it being educational its also a laugh.
just my 2penny worth

cheers chris

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 9/10/05 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
oh dear shall i leave now building a kit and I'm a furry muppet

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Simon

posted on 9/10/05 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Steve (M)

Did you make all your bodywork (nosecone/bonnet/sides/scuttle/arches and rear panel)?

ATB

Simon

Rorty

posted on 9/10/05 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
Ha,

that's just made me have a sneeky look to see if I'm in the top ten again - and I am!

Cool.

I've finished my car if that helps with the calculations.

Does it matter? Quite a few people see the internet as entertainment, and you might think that people who've finished their cars would post less, if at all.

I think that generally most people who've finished see coming in and answering questions as a way of helping out - giving a bit back if you like.

I see all as welcome.

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 9/10/05 by chrisg]

Hear hear! When I was a lad, I was inspired by a few old Heath Robinson types. I designed my own "Locost" chassis just for the fun of it, but I've no intention of ever building one.
I just come here for the crack and to offer assistance (on the rare occasions when I can), and to keep in touch with the British home car builder tradition.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Marcus

posted on 10/10/05 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I quite like some of the muppets in here! Although I'm not in the top 10, I've built 2 book cars. The proportions seen just right and the (1 inch) taller MKs and MAc1s etc lose a little in translation. I've also seen Steves car and it was an inspiration to get mine finished!
I believe Steve did some of the fibreglass work, but why re-invent the wheel if nosecones are readily available.
He did a lot of sewing too in the seats and tonneau (spelling!). And best of all STILL runs a crossflow!

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

Winston Todge

posted on 10/10/05 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
G.Man - Well, as long as the people who are members here enjoy themselves does it really matter?

Didn't realise there was a band of Locost nazi police about to make sure we all do things by the book and nout else

I wholeheartedly agree...

I feel the presence of these so called 'muppets' makes an internet forum an internet forum... If you do not, just ignore them?

Why this elitist 'locost' attitude? 'there should be a law stopping some of these idiots picking up a welder!!'

The post was correctly started in the 'locost related' area of this forum. Can't quite see why you're giving him an earbashing for posting this...

'i can see now why i dont bother coming on this site !!! '

The priniciple behind many forums is that they evolve...

Anyway, millenniumtree to get back to the subject. Awesome model and good luck with the rest of the build! Would be interested to see how things progress...

Chris.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.