Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis floor
jon_haggerty

posted on 22/10/05 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis floor

I have a big bit of fairly thick (havnt measured the gauge yet) Ali sheet. Can i use that for the floor and rivet it on every inch or so, or should i go steel and weld it?
Surrey Dave

posted on 22/10/05 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ally is fine as long as you do not intend to race the car in Locost series.....................
kb58

posted on 22/10/05 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jon_haggerty
I have a big bit of fairly thick (havnt measured the gauge yet) Ali sheet. Can i use that for the floor and rivet it on every inch or so, or should i go steel and weld it?

Price-wise it makes sense to use what you have, but when you say "fairly thick" remember you'll forever be dragging that needless weight around with you. If the car's to be a cruiser it doesn't matter, but if you're looking for every bit of performance you'd be better off with a thin floor. (Balancing that against the safety aspect too.)

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 22/10/05 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Rivit & glue !
BKLOCO

posted on 22/10/05 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
You do not need to rivet as close as you are sugesting. 50 - 75mm is about right

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

jon_haggerty

posted on 22/10/05 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
its not too thick, just enough so it wont bend etc when i sit in it, when its rivetted. why do they not allow rivetted ally floors in the series? i think mine will only go as far as track days...
JoelP

posted on 22/10/05 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
ditto rivet and glue, i suspect rivets can wear loose over time. belts and braces

quattromike

posted on 22/10/05 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Remember to use the correct rivets coz the wrong ones will corrode round the hole and create a big problem . I can't remember but I think it's as simple as useing alloy rivests as aposed too zinc ones
Although i'm not sure alloy rivets will be as strong as steel ones so you might need to go up a few sizes to get the strenght back

but if you use a really good mastik it shouldn't be a prob.

Mike

iank

posted on 22/10/05 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
its not too thick, just enough so it wont bend etc when i sit in it, when its rivetted. why do they not allow rivetted ally floors in the series? i think mine will only go as far as track days...

http://www.750mc.co.uk/racing/formulae/locost.htm

To avoid it becoming a biggest wallet wins formulae the 750 motor club limit the modifications you can make so everyone is on a level playing field. They chose to force everyone to stick as close to Ron's book as possible, presumably to avoid having to design the car again. Ron chose a weld in steel floor so that's what you have to use.

The weight difference isn't huge (since you can use a thinner gauge of steel) and the added stiffness of a welded steel floor probably isn't a great deal more than a decently bonded in ally one. The steel ones can tend to 'boing' when getting in, ally ones don't.

[Edited on 22/10/05 by iank]

pajsh

posted on 22/10/05 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought but is Ali OK for fixing seats to or will you need spreaders?
quattromike

posted on 23/10/05 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Come to think of it your best bet is stainless rivets stronger than alum ones and wont corrode the alum like steel ones, just make sure you have plenty of mastik on coz if the steel and alum touch each other it will corrode at ten times the speed as it should, so keep it apart with the mastik to act like a barrier and you'l be ok
Mike

MikeRJ

posted on 23/10/05 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pajsh
Just a thought but is Ali OK for fixing seats to or will you need spreaders?

I wouldn't bolt a seat directly to either an alloy or steel floor. Put a couple of extra tubes in for the seat mounting brackets and you know it's not going to dump you onto the tarmac at an inconvienient moment.

gazza285

posted on 24/10/05 at 04:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quattromike
Come to think of it your best bet is stainless rivets stronger than alum ones and wont corrode the alum like steel ones.

Your right there, it'll corrode the aluminium much faster.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
quattromike

posted on 24/10/05 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
quote:
Originally posted by quattromike
Come to think of it your best bet is stainless rivets stronger than alum ones and wont corrode the alum like steel ones.

Your right there, it'll corrode the aluminium much faster.

??????
I was under the impresion that alloy next to steel will corrode quickly compared to alloy next to stainless ?

jon_haggerty

posted on 24/10/05 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Confused now. So what rivets? And what size? I was going to weld in two rails anyway for each seat so thats ok. I was thinking of using a very strong double sided sticky foam from work (used for sticking body trim to panels, and about an inch wide tape like stuff) and then rivets. Should do shouldnt it?
caber

posted on 24/10/05 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Stainless has a higher potential difference than plain steel with alluminium so will corrode the ally faster as a lot of Land rover owners have found out using stainless steel bolts to hold ally panels on

ally rivets won't corrode too badly against ally sheet. Theoretically the ally/steel junction will remain dry inside the tube specially if you use sealant between the ally panel and the steel tube. You can also get closed end ally rivets these are better to keep dampness out of the steeel tube.

Caber

NS Dev

posted on 25/10/05 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Confused now. So what rivets? And what size? I was going to weld in two rails anyway for each seat so thats ok. I was thinking of using a very strong double sided sticky foam from work (used for sticking body trim to panels, and about an inch wide tape like stuff) and then rivets. Should do shouldnt it?

Use 4.8mm (3/16" Ally rivets, spaced at around 50mm, preferably with a small bead of sikaflex or similar polyurethane adhesive applied first. If the tape you have is thin (<1mm) then that should also be ok, if it's too thick it will bugger up the job done by the rivets.

Incidentally several people have fixed seats directly to ally floors with no probs, SVA or otherwise.

MikeRJ

posted on 25/10/05 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Incidentally several people have fixed seats directly to ally floors with no probs, SVA or otherwise.

Rather them than me. With those riviets being probably the most exposed to water and also hidden from view, I personaly think it's a bit foolish to skimp on a couple of rails.

quattromike

posted on 25/10/05 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
Stainless has a higher potential difference than plain steel with alluminium so will corrode the ally faster as a lot of Land rover owners have found out using stainless steel bolts to hold ally panels on

ally rivets won't corrode too badly against ally sheet. Theoretically the ally/steel junction will remain dry inside the tube specially if you use sealant between the ally panel and the steel tube. You can also get closed end ally rivets these are better to keep dampness out of the steeel tube.

Caber

I don't agree with you here as the ally rivets will corrode themselfs slack in the steel box's. I would go with the stainless ones at least there stronger

NS Dev

posted on 25/10/05 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev

Rather them than me. With those riviets being probably the most exposed to water and also hidden from view, I personaly think it's a bit foolish to skimp on a couple of rails.

know what you're saying but remember the harnesses take the forces in a crash, not the floor unless you crash vertically downwards onto your wheels.

All the westfields that I have been in (all 3 of them!) that had "drop in" seats just had the squabs and backrests dropped straight onto unreinforced ally.

Rorty

posted on 26/10/05 at 04:17 AM Reply With Quote
I understand what you're saying, but just bouncing up and down on the ally could cause it to fracture.
The other thing I would be worried about is the (admittedly, unlikely) possibility of some debris on the road being flicked up by the tyres and impaling the driver. There was a photo of such a trauma doing the rounds about a year ago; a driver was run through by a length of metal or wood that had fallen onto the road.
In motorsport, there's usually a rule governing the thickness and type of material imediately under the driver's seat for just such reasons.
I would fit a couple of seat rails for peace of mind and ensure the floor was sufficiently strong too.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Fred W B

posted on 26/10/05 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
Floor weight

If anyone want to do the maths

Steel sg factor is 8.07, ally sg factor is 2.73. so:

For steel assume 1.2mm floor
For ally assume 2mm floor

If floor was area 1.5 m x 1.0 m, steel weighs 14.53 kg, ally weighs 8.19

Formula is (Area of part in M) x (part thickness in mm) x sg factor = mass in kg

Fred WB

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.