Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dash Radii?
timwest167

posted on 7/12/05 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Dash Radii?

Hi all,

I plan to make the traditional plywood dash covered in vinyl. I have no room between the dash face and the stalks for padding, so the dash will be hard. I understand that a hard bottom edge must have a radius of >19mm, but how far round should the radius curve? A, B or C?

Piccy

Is it OK to make just the bottom edge padded so that a 5mm radius can be used, or does this only apply if the whole dash is padded?

Thanks,

Tim

[Edited on 7/12/05 by timwest167]

Ian Pearson

posted on 7/12/05 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure. I went for option C. You could always give SVA in Swansea a ring. I have always found them quite helpful.

HTH, Ian.

Hammerhead

posted on 7/12/05 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
HI there,

You lightly pad the dash front if you wanted to with 1/2" V21 upholstery foam. This will pulldown to nothing on the edges but give you a nice tactile face. Also you could use 1" hard roll (ask an upholsterer for some) this has a profile of a circle with a flap that can be stapled to the back face of the dash. When the vinyl and foam is upholstered over it, it will not be visible but will give you an edge that should be good for SVA.
The cost of the parts from a local upholsterer should be no more than £5. If you have any trouble getting the bits let me know.

timwest167

posted on 8/12/05 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Nobody who has passed SVA (there must be lots of you somewhere) able to help?

Tim

the moa 2

posted on 8/12/05 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
You only have to cover the bottom and basically everything has to have a 5mm radius meaning the same curve as a 5mm cylinder .

Sorry if stating what you already know but i had problems sorting this.

Mix

posted on 9/12/05 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
5mm radius meaning the same curve as a 5mm cylinder

Confused

Mick

RazMan

posted on 10/12/05 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
As the bottom of the dash needs to be a 19mm radius (or 38mm cylinder) I would have thought that 90 degrees (Pic A) would be the minimum and 270 degrees (Pic C) being ideal - at least Mr SVA's test pad wouldn't find any sharp edges.

[Edited on 10-12-05 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 10/12/05 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Just used the radius as in picture A . but If I was doing it again would do it as pic B. Dash was the only part that had radius gauges used on it when the car was SVAd. HTH
Mark Allanson

posted on 10/12/05 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Mine passed with section B, I am sure A would fail as the contactable ball would contact the lower sharp edge

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Triton

posted on 10/12/05 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
"sharp" and "balls" the thought makes yer eyes water

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timwest167

posted on 12/12/05 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help. Think I'll go for B, C being extra work and A would still have a sharp edge on the back/bottom.

Tim

timwest167

posted on 15/12/05 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
I presume the top of the dash will need a >3.2mm radius?

Tim

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.