Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: disappointed DD
skidude88

posted on 5/6/06 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
disappointed DD

Whilst taking the car out for a shake down (and the diff did just that)....

A stunningly sunny day - New Dash, New Digidash1 - I need to read speed & any warnings....

I know people have posted that they could be difficult to read, Unfortunatly I think they ment to say - Impossible to read the red on red.

Has anyone come up with any novel ideas to overcome this problem?

(other than buying a roof)

Cheers

James

[Edited on 5/6/06 by skidude88]

donut

posted on 5/6/06 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
drive at night!!

sorry had to be done

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 5/6/06 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Ive seen several fitted with a small cover on the top - a bit like a sun visor.

Should be able to mod one up in card to prove the theory then make a proper one later.

skidude88

posted on 5/6/06 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote

Going in circles....

Main reason for doing a new dash was (appart from none of the original seemed to work) - what did work had no back lighting

- I endured a harrowing drive down to devon, got caught out in the dark, in the rain with effectivly no instrumentation. Had to jam a torch down the side of the trannie tunnel to get the odd glimpse of the speedo.

Now Ive got night vision - I cant see in the day

MikeR

posted on 5/6/06 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
fit both then
gingerprince

posted on 5/6/06 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
When driving in the sun I make sure the LCD display is showing speed/gear/rpm. Even though the red display washes out I have no problem reading the LCD in the brightest sun....apart from it now reads half-speed because I lost a speedo magnet on my travels this weekend
skidude88

posted on 5/6/06 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
I knocked sensor off 1st trip out - only went a mile to the MOT station. Fortunatly found it rolling around in the trannie tunnel.

Er..Mmmm... What with everythig going on - I have to admit that I'd got it on Gear display - failed to notice that thats got the speed right next to it! - just looked in the manual - D'op!

Even so, being 1st shake down - I was more concerned about any warnings. If you cant read 'em defeats the point of having 'em. -

Something less to worry about I guess

Will be touring in it, so would like to know if the circuit entry traffic jam is sending temps high (only have manual fan switch), or if the fuel tank has any juice left (not all French services have fuel stations....... thinking about it - your lucky to get porcelain - just a hole in the ground to straddle )

Hellfire

posted on 5/6/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
The angle of the dashboard doesn't help... best best is to buy/manufacture a hood of some description once through SVA as glaring sun makes all digital readout's useless in the sun.

Good job we don't get that much then

skidude88

posted on 6/6/06 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Summit like a John Stalker min-electic sun awning, complete with dog?

[Edited on 6/6/06 by skidude88]

Jasper

posted on 8/6/06 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I had DD1 and was never happy with it - and have said so regualrly on this forum. It all worked at it should and was easy to install, but it was always a sod to read. I was forever cycling through the LCD display to get it on the right one, the fuel level warning light was always flashing on went you went around a decent corner, and you have to be looking straight at it to read anything - unlike dials which you can see out of the corner of your eye.

Anyway, not much help to you....

I had mine set at an angle so it pointed directly at me (not SVA friendly though) and it made it a little easier.

This time I've gone for a combination of digital readout for some of the gauges all on a very bright alarm LED light, and tradition dials for revs, speed and boost.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.