Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Other roadusers pulling out!!!
DarrenW

posted on 10/8/06 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Other roadusers pulling out!!!

Is it just me or does everyone always experience people pulling out on you???? It seems that hardly a day goes by when a car doesnt nudge forward out of a junction and have to stop sharpish. Its almost as if they dont register that another car is on the road and has right of way.

If this is what bikers gripe about then i now fully understand what they are going thro and have every empathy with them (i now consider myself more of a 4 wheel biker than a car driver!). You kind of need a sixth sense. Ive been driving for a lot of years and regulalry drive from NE to Bristol but even that doesnt compare to the concentration you need when driving se7ens on the road at times. Ive even tried driving with sidelights on.

Another gripe - the amount of people who drive oh so close when you are wanting a leisurely drive out. I havce to turn right off the main road to get to my office, quite often the cars behind dont seem to register the indicators and get scarily close.

David Jenkins

posted on 10/8/06 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I think the trouble is that sevens (and bikes) don't register as "traffic" in some peoples' minds, as do tin-tops and lorries.

These people look up the road, don't see "tin-top" or "lorry", so pull out.

I think that they should have their car roof torn off so that they can notice the rest of the world!

David

[Edited on 10/8/06 by David Jenkins]

cadebytiger

posted on 10/8/06 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
i need some silencing at the moment so people hear me comming first (please no jokes )

Rupert

donut

posted on 10/8/06 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Don't even go there!!!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BKLOCO

posted on 10/8/06 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Although I haven't been driving the toy for long it seems to be a common problem.
The only answer seems to be to develop a good defensive driving philosophy.
When I used to teach kids to ride push bikes safely under the Cyclist Training Scheme (old style cycling proficiency test). The first thing I used to tell them was:
Be aware of everyone around you at all times and treat every other road users as ablind idiot who is out to knock you off your bike!

I think this is a good place to come from when driving our cars.

What amazes me most is the number who pull out on you and then treat you as though it was your fault for being there.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

muzchap

posted on 10/8/06 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed - Defensive Driving is the only stance to take on the road.

I do think brighter colours help though - BKLOCO's and my car are Yellow - so easily recognisible

Perhaps your 'Milk Tray Man' car Darren is a bit stealthy - get some fluorescent graphics on it

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

DarrenW

posted on 10/8/06 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Defensive driving - yes i can concurr it is a good idea. Whilst i havent been formally trained in such techniques i do employ what i would consider to be common sense in such matters. Ive got to the stage now that if i see a car in a junction way ahead i assume they will pull out. It works but still amazes me how many people do it.

Ref colour - defo good point very well made. i do need to put some more graphics on it. Ive also got someone looking into a nice shade of burnt metallic orange for a respray but unfortunately funds dont allow now ive started a house development.

Scotty

posted on 10/8/06 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps everyone should ride motorbikes for a while - that teaches them to realise whats going on around them. very good for learning defensive driving !

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

David Jenkins

posted on 10/8/06 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Don't start me on the subject of drivers isolated in their little boxes!

How many people go 80 or 90 mph on the motorway in bad conditions, because it doesn't feel very fast and they feel "safe"?

Try doing that on a bike or in a Locost (or even a 1960's saloon) and see what 80 or 90 really feels like! You certainly don't feel so safe - mind you, it's a great thrill, but you know all too well that you are at risk.

David

DIY Si

posted on 10/8/06 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

t's a great thrill, but you know all too well that you are at risk.

I think that's part of the problem. In big modern cars you are so isoloated you have no idea what's actually going on. It always amzes me how fast people go in the pouring rain on motorways. Especially when I can't see a thing! As said, I know a few bikers and we all drive the same way, due to people pulling out/not seeing us, and looking at the road surface/condition/dry lines etc.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

posted on 10/8/06 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I sold my bike a few weeks ago but I always had dipped headlights on.

I might well do the same when I get the seven on the road, tell everyone I used Volvo electrics.

Blue bulbs are even better. They show up well in daylight.

The one thing I don't understand is the fitting of small lights and indicators.
Yes they look cool, but not on a bent car.

Just IMHO you understand.

Paul G

DIY Si

posted on 10/8/06 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I always have the side lights on. Especially in traffic. Where I leave a nice heathly gap, as most won't see you in their mirrors. Also really glad my car's half bright yellow!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

marcyboy

posted on 10/8/06 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
there generally seems to be a lack courtesy on the roads.
i do it like Earl, karma
let someone out and someone will let you out...
if they don't just pull on em and if they give you abuse brake test em

[Edited on 10/8/06 by marcyboy]

skydivepaul

posted on 10/8/06 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I find that roundabouts are the worst especially when you are going round one that joins a dual carriageway. in the summer as the grass grows a bit long and there are usually plants or shrubs to shroud you as you are going round. because you are so low down other road users might not or cant see you coming round so they pull straight out in front of you.

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.