Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vauxhall XE 16v
NS Dev

posted on 2/10/06 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall XE 16v

Just a quick post, this engine is often perceived as pricey to install, which I will accept can be the case if "done right"......

but, thought I would just relate the case history of the latest engine I have in which is actually going in my brother's manta.

We paid £200 for an MOT'd (but about to fail on the cat and brake pipes) Cavalier SRI 16v (one of the last ones with XE engine before they went ecotec)

Sold the gearbox for £60

Took off other random bits and bobs which were easy and quick to remove, these are fetching £45 as of last night on ebay.

Sold the brake calipers to a mantaclub member for £25

Weighed the rest of the car in and got £55

Engine with full injection/ignition system etc now stands us in for - £35, but ebay bits may fetch more yet.

So we have a good, running, test driven, Coscast headed XE 16v engine for a small credit of £35 which may increase!

With megasquirt, plus a set of bike throttle bodies on a diy manifold, and the std dizzyless ignition attached to the engine, you will therefore be able to have 200hp for around £250 total expenditure.....................................................

who said bike power/zetecs were cheap???????????????????????????????????????

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

DarrenW

posted on 2/10/06 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
That sounds great Nat. Well done. I guess its the bell housing and exhaust system that then puts people off a bit in terms of cost. But even if these are £600, a reliable 200bhp for around £850 is very tempting.

Its a shame you spent so much buying the donor!!!!! I guess you could always get another and almost end up with the injection system for nowt as well.

mackei23b

posted on 2/10/06 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Now thats what I call 'locost'

Well done.

Cheers

Ian

twybrow

posted on 2/10/06 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I thought the COSCAST heads were only found on the early GTE's not on the later models? I really like the look of the XE - makes fantastic power stright out of the box, with loads of tuning potential. Only downside are all of the 'extras' needed for an install (sump, manifold, exhaust, anti oil surge modification, crank sensor etc). I appreciate most of these bits will be needed regardless of engine choice, but something like a Zetec is a much more available option!?
greggors84

posted on 2/10/06 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Only problem with a 7 is you need to find a bell housing to fit a type 9 or use a manta gearbox. Not sure if there are any complications using the manta box, but a bell housing will probably set you back a bit.

I am seriously considering this engine though as a winter project.

Are second hand bell housings easy to pick up, i would rather stick with a type 9 then it means i can keep my prop too.

Also how much does it weigh, i know it comes up alot and with near 200bhp it doesnt matter much, but its more for handling than anything. After having a big boat anchor in the front i think it will feel alot better with something lighter.

There was someone on here who put a K in his Indy and said it transformed it, even though it was less power than he was running before.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

NS Dev

posted on 2/10/06 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I thought the COSCAST heads were only found on the early GTE's not on the later models? I really like the look of the XE - makes fantastic power stright out of the box, with loads of tuning potential. Only downside are all of the 'extras' needed for an install (sump, manifold, exhaust, anti oil surge modification, crank sensor etc). I appreciate most of these bits will be needed regardless of engine choice, but something like a Zetec is a much more available option!?

no, coscast heads came and went. Early engines were coscast, then GM went to Karl Schmitt cos they were cheaper, then got the porous problems on warranty, then went back to Cosworth again for a bit, then back to KS, then at the end of the line like this one.....used anything they could find left over!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 2/10/06 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
Only problem with a 7 is you need to find a bell housing to fit a type 9 or use a manta gearbox. Not sure if there are any complications using the manta box, but a bell housing will probably set you back a bit.

I am seriously considering this engine though as a winter project.

Are second hand bell housings easy to pick up, i would rather stick with a type 9 then it means i can keep my prop too.

Also how much does it weigh, i know it comes up alot and with near 200bhp it doesnt matter much, but its more for handling than anything. After having a big boat anchor in the front i think it will feel alot better with something lighter.

There was someone on here who put a K in his Indy and said it transformed it, even though it was less power than he was running before.

Bellhousing is £140 new. s/h ones are like rocking horse droppings.
manta box is £75 ish.

Type 9 is best though, £140 in the scheme of things is not too bad.

Use std clutch pressure plate with either sierra diesel or aftermarket friction plate.

fabricate your own sump using a steel cavalier 8valve 1.8 or 2.0 sump as a starting point (already has the well at the right end and is easy to weld)

Weight wise is a few kg heavier than a zetec (7 kg?) but much stronger.

greggors84

posted on 2/10/06 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding the CosCast head, how do you tell which ones are which?

Is it all down to part numbers or are there other distinguishing features.

Cheers

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

NS Dev

posted on 2/10/06 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
two really noticeable features (shown in Ned's website actually as well) are that the coscast one has no coreplug on the dizzy end of the head (the gm head does) and instead has a large casting rib there (the gm head doesn't)

secondly the coscast head says "coscast" on a spare bit of the unmachined head face underneath and just behind the exhaust manifold flange.

NS Dev

posted on 2/10/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
ps if you do get an engine and need a 8v steel sump I have one, plus should be able to find you a pickup pipe to help, as its easier to make one modded one using two "donor" ones!

ps ps for sump gaskets use either later ecotec or earlier setup from "sri 130" models fitted with the "20 SEH" engine (130 hp 8 valve 2.0) these both use a rubber wraparound gasket that fits round the std windage tray, much neater than the double cork setup used on the XE which always seems to get overtightened and leak.

MkIndy7

posted on 2/10/06 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
ps ps for sump gaskets use either later ecotec or earlier setup from "sri 130" models fitted with the "20 SEH" engine (130 hp 8 valve 2.0) these both use a rubber wraparound gasket that fits round the std windage tray, much neater than the double cork setup used on the XE which always seems to get overtightened and leak.

Definately, I tried again with 2 fresh cork gaskets and it was a complete waste of time, effort, oil and money!

Althought they are a little pricey! Mine new 8V baffle plate was about £30 for the from the dealers!

ps you also need to use shorter bolts (or washers) if your using the rubber gasket over cork, they need to be 4mm shorter I believe.

[Edited on 2/10/06 by MkIndy7]

ashtal

posted on 2/10/06 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap 200+ bhp donor
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=52615

martyn_16v

posted on 2/10/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
That sounds great Nat. Well done. I guess its the bell housing and exhaust system that then puts people off a bit in terms of cost.

But you'd have to buy/make an exhaust for any engine, I know you can find 'off the shelf' ones for the more popular engines but the difference in cost isn't going to be that much. Can't argue with the bellhousing though...

quote:

If only I could do the same, it costs me about £40 to get rid of shells and even that's a struggle, everyone I call around here to take it whinges about me being too far, and 'it'll only weigh in for a tenner' Do you have a HIAB to play with or do you cut them up into wee bits and sling them in a van?

Mr G

posted on 2/10/06 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Jesus, my memory is bad...

I never got back to you from THIS thread

I'm in the southwest so pickup is not an option unfortunately. If you can give me a price all in delivered for the 8v and a pickup(s) if you have any I'll get some money off to you.

Failing that I should be at westpoint November.

Cheers

G

Stu16v

posted on 2/10/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
But you'd have to buy/make an exhaust for any engine, I know you can find 'off the shelf' ones for the more popular engines but the difference in cost isn't going to be that much.

Another beauty of getting an XE still in the car - you get a nice tubular exhaust manifold to play with too...

Dont just build it.....make it!

NS Dev

posted on 3/10/06 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
ahh, got them too, but just chop the flange off and use that, pipes are a bit small on the manifold, but for a start I guess they are ok!

NS Dev

posted on 3/10/06 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
That sounds great Nat. Well done. I guess its the bell housing and exhaust system that then puts people off a bit in terms of cost.

But you'd have to buy/make an exhaust for any engine, I know you can find 'off the shelf' ones for the more popular engines but the difference in cost isn't going to be that much. Can't argue with the bellhousing though...

quote:

If only I could do the same, it costs me about £40 to get rid of shells and even that's a struggle, everyone I call around here to take it whinges about me being too far, and 'it'll only weigh in for a tenner' Do you have a HIAB to play with or do you cut them up into wee bits and sling them in a van?

No Hiab, 4 wheel car trailer though, with winch and strong helpers!

knack is don't ring the breakers to get rid of it, ring a "scrapyard" i.e. one that just buys metal stuff, not just cars!

At my local place, you just drive onto the weighbridge, weigh in, get the car lifted off the trailer with a hulking great grab, weigh back out and get paid cash, job done!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.