Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Heater ducting hose fitting?
RazMan

posted on 17/10/06 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Heater ducting hose fitting?

I've got a problem with the corrugated alluminium duct / hose which attaches to the demist vents (supplied by CBS)
The hoses are 40mm i/d and they fit snugly onto the 40mm o/d inlet boss, but the ally hose just slips off even when secured with a cable tie as the ally just crushes down. Is there a rubber moulding available to make a better push-fit? I can't have a permanent connection as I need to remove the dash occasionally.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 17/10/06 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Could you make a ridge or barbs of some kind on the plastic outlet pipe like you have for coolant pipes?

Maybe make a few small slits into the pipe and then use some heat to bend some tabs out. That might be enough to stop the cable tie moving.

HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 17/10/06 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
could you wrap a bit of plastic insulation tape around the boss to make it just a little bit bigger so that it might hold on better ?
or if the boss is long enough it might even form some sort of lip to pass the duct over and then tie wrap which should stop it slipping of

Humbug

posted on 17/10/06 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
failing finding a rubber moulding, how about glueing a piece of bike inner tube on the boss and forcing the ducting over that?

or duck tape?

02GF74

posted on 17/10/06 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
how about glueing a piece of bike inner tube on the boss and forcing the ducting over that?

beat me to it. you should be able to strewtch that over the tube, puyt the hose over it and then maybe another bit over both to make it nice and air tight..... but depends on how much room you have to get hands/fingers in to fit it.

PeterW

posted on 17/10/06 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
I've got a problem with the corrugated alluminium duct / hose which attaches to the demist vents (supplied by CBS)
The hoses are 40mm i/d and they fit snugly onto the 40mm o/d inlet boss, but the ally hose just slips off even when secured with a cable tie as the ally just crushes down. Is there a rubber moulding available to make a better push-fit? I can't have a permanent connection as I need to remove the dash occasionally.

Get hold of some self adhesive foam tape, about 4mm thick and wrap around the spigot. The ally will crush onto this and hold tight.

Cheers

Peter

RazMan

posted on 17/10/06 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the ideas guys - I have come up with a solution with your help.
I have used a little PU adhesive and glued a turn of 1mm neoprene strip around the spigot. This gives a kind of 'barb' which retains the hose without any need for a cable tie.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.