Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recovering a Steering Wheel?
RazMan

posted on 25/10/06 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Recovering a Steering Wheel?

This might be a silly question but is it feasable to retrim a steering wheel? I'm thinking about a change in colour and maybe making it more SVA friendly.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec7

posted on 25/10/06 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've done it a couple of times, with success, both times with leather. If you can find some soft, stretchy tanned leather (I bought an old used leather jacket at a second hand store, and cut out what I needed), just measure the circumference of the rim, add enough width for a slight fold-over on each side, and cut a piece long enough to go round the outside of the wheel. I stitched mine by hand (that takes a while), stretching it very taut. It shrunk over a couple of hours, and ended up tight as a drum - better than the original. On the second one, I even used a thin layer of foam inside to make it more padded. The leather smells nice, too!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 25/10/06 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cool I've got some Alcantara left over from my dash and it would look sooooo much nicer than plain old black.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

RoadkillUK

posted on 26/10/06 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 26/10/06 by RoadkillUK]

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

zetec7

posted on 26/10/06 at 02:12 AM Reply With Quote
Does anybody else have trouble with RoadkillUK's link? I felt like I was in a loop...in a loop...in a loop....

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

RazMan

posted on 26/10/06 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote
Ooh look, a groundhog!

Cheers,
Raz

donut

posted on 26/10/06 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
You can use a horse sadle maker if you don't want to do it your self

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

02GF74

posted on 26/10/06 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I considered using self adhesive leather tape, the sort that you use on tennis/squash/badminton raquets but never got round to doing it so don't know how good it would be - locost would be to use towel wrap!
02GF74

posted on 26/10/06 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Andy!

Hey Andy,

What are your plans for this?
Image deleted by owner

other then painting it to be one colour? someone on another forum is planning to fit a haybusa in the rear of a mini!

[Edited on 26/10/06 by 02GF74]

James

posted on 26/10/06 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Hey Andy,

What are your plans for this?

[Edited on 26/10/06 by 02GF74]

I think the general consensus of opinion is spend a fortune paying other people to do the work and then sell it at a loss 2 weeks later...

Sorry Donut, too easy!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

jack trolley

posted on 26/10/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Current issue of one of the classic mags. (Motorsport, I think?) has a feature on
Motolita, which shows how wheels are made: fairly low-tech. actually.

RoadkillUK

posted on 26/10/06 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the non-working link, post deleted

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

Peteff

posted on 26/10/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
A bloke I used to know made his own wood rimmed steering wheels from 5mm aluminium plate offcuts he used to get from his place of employment. If you had a plasma cutter you could do a flat one easily, he used to cut them out with a drill and jigsaw as plasma wasn't invented then.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Dale

posted on 27/10/06 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I am doing my wheel in wood trim as its just a cruiser. I started out with an almost 16 inch mgb wheel and cut the outer rim off and rebent the outside rim down to a 12 inch diameter rim and welded it back together. I just need to cut / route out a two piece wood rim.circle and either glue or screw it together. Definately not sva save but should be very vintage looking and free of charge.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.