Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost heating idea - thoughts please
Humbug

posted on 8/2/07 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Locost heating idea - thoughts please

The weather being what it is, I am getting a bit cold out in the car, without a full screen or heater.

I was prompted by AYoungman's very neat Polo heater installation, but the way I have got stuff installed in front of the scuttle in the engine bay means there wouldn't be much room.

I also did a search and found BenB's descriptin of a heater made with an oil cooler rad.

Thirdly, at the WLM meeting on Sunday James mentioned that his heater was a hole in the footwell, so he gets exhaust heat!

So, I wondered if I could combine some ideas by having something like:

ali box/tubing bracketed near the exhaust, with a little fan (e.g. computer?) at the front to suck in air (from in front of the exhaust to avoid fumes ), then tubing through the footwell or scuttle to warm my feet. I could fit some sort of flap to shut off the tube in the summer.

1. would the exhaust heat up the air enough?

2. would the fan pull enough volume through to make it worth while?

Thanks for comments, or any other ideas for cheap heating (apart from wearing woolly socks)

westcost1

posted on 8/2/07 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
What about those ceramic heater things I think they sell them on car building solutions don’t know how much heat is kicked out? Rescued attachment demist2.jpg
Rescued attachment demist2.jpg

02GF74

posted on 8/2/07 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure about your exhaus idea; the fan isn't going to be as efective as a car heater fan. and I can't see how you can make it look nice.

I would be inclide to plub somting into the cooling system;

either a small oil cooler and a fan or maybe make a heat exhachange using copper u-bends and copper tube to place under your feet.

or maybe electicial heating pad under your feet?

Werner Van Loock

posted on 8/2/07 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't like to have exhaust fumes into the car if there would be a crack or somehting in the exhaust.

But if you want to do it locost, why not use a 12V hairdryer(s)?

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 8/2/07 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
The most constant and useable source of heat has to be the coolant system so if you can tap into that with a small oil cooler or similar? Computer fans will not move enough air for you though.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bobrailings

posted on 8/2/07 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
The box around the exhaust idea is very similar to a set up I had on an air cooled 1980 VW Transporter (box shape). It did the job of heating/demisting very well but it did get very 'fumey' in the cabin as others have mentioned. Would have thought the more traditional route is better tbh
Humbug

posted on 8/2/07 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all - that was quick!

Electric heaters: Having searched on here re heating, the general opinionon electric heaters seems to be very negative, so I don't think I want to go in that direction.

Fumes: my plan was to have the air inlet in front of the exhaust so as to avoid any leaked fumes coming in.

Oil cooler - that was BenB's solution, which sounds like it might be the best compromise of heating power vs space.

Fan: how about if I put a car heater fan at the front of my tubing, instead of a computer fan (that was just an idea, as they are small)?

Keep them coming!

macnab

posted on 8/2/07 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
yet another idea could be to use the vw beetle exhaust heat exchangers near the manifold, these do get very hot very quickly, far faster than a water system and all they require is a small blower to pull the air through which could be sited anywhere in the engine bay. Due to the quite small bore a feed pipe could come off the main down pipe to heat up the exchanger.

certainly different Rescued attachment exchanger.jpg
Rescued attachment exchanger.jpg

DarrenW

posted on 8/2/07 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
i find 2 pairs of socks, gloves, balaclava, helmet, good coat etc does the trick. You will never be warm all over no matter what heater you install. I find its stopping the wind getting through to your skin is best for keeping hypothermia away.

Cant you get thermal underwear with heater elements in now?

MikeR

posted on 8/2/07 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
are fumes really an issue in an open air car like the locost?

Also, if you have a leak won't you know about it pretty quickly due to run on bangs when lifting off etc?

macnab

posted on 8/2/07 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Well considering the exhaust ends usually right next to you anyway, probably not...

macnab

posted on 8/2/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
i find 2 pairs of socks, gloves, balaclava, helmet, good coat etc does the trick. You will never be warm all over no matter what heater you install. I find its stopping the wind getting through to your skin is best for keeping hypothermia away.

Cant you get thermal underwear with heater elements in now?

leather jacket with a flease underneath works wonders

Tralfaz

posted on 8/2/07 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I know here in the states they sell heated vests (for the Harley Davidson crowd) that you can plug into a 12v cigarette lighter plug.

B

Surrey Dave

posted on 8/2/07 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Heater

I used to have my footwell top open around the pedals and it was very warm with engine bay heat coming through.

MG Midgets had opening vents in the side of the tunnel you could fit those and pick up the heat from the engine bat again.

Or fit a sliding ally ventilation fitting in the front of the footwell , that would do it.

macnab

posted on 8/2/07 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tralfaz
I know here in the states they sell heated vests (for the Harley Davidson crowd) that you can plug into a 12v cigarette lighter plug.

B

oh that will be for the OAP Hells Angels!

bartonp

posted on 8/2/07 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Wasn't it Tatra who did a small petrol burning heater for the cabin?
macnab

posted on 8/2/07 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I used to have my footwell top open around the pedals and it was very warm with engine bay heat coming through.

MG Midgets had opening vents in the side of the tunnel you could fit those and pick up the heat from the engine bat again.

Or fit a sliding ally ventilation fitting in the front of the footwell , that would do it.

It might get very hot indeed if the engine goes on fire...

Werner Van Loock

posted on 8/2/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bartonp
Wasn't it Tatra who did a small petrol burning heater for the cabin?

The thing they use(d?) in trucks are the webasto diesel heaters, but they are not cheap, but DO give a lot of HEAT.

http://www.navstore.com/webasto_air_top_2000_air_heater.aspx

My dad has one of those 22000btu heaters in his boat, no need for central heating.

http://www.clubstylus.be

James

posted on 8/2/07 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave

That's exactly what I have, as mentioned by Humbug above.

I took the horizontal panel out that is above your feet.
I actually did it as an experiment in engine cooling/under bonnet air pressure as my bonnet kept lifting as speed.

Not only did removing it fix the bonet lifting... it means loads of warm air over feet/legs!

To be honest, it's only a temporary measure, I don't want oil or maybe boiling water on my feet!

Humbug,
One of the New Forest crowd had a system maybe you could use. It was a metal tube that ran over the exhast (under bonnet), connected to the nose (to get air) and the cabin by plastic tubing.
Any air that entered the tube at the nose flowed down the plastic pipe then through the metal where it was warmed by the exhaust, then into the cabin.
Seemed quite a neat idea to me. No fumes as the supply is from the front of the car, it's just heat it picks up along the way.

Not sure how effective if was though!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Humbug

posted on 8/2/07 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave

That's exactly what I have, as mentioned by Humbug above.

I took the horizontal panel out that is above your feet.
I actually did it as an experiment in engine cooling/under bonnet air pressure as my bonnet kept lifting as speed.

Not only did removing it fix the bonet lifting... it means loads of warm air over feet/legs!

To be honest, it's only a temporary measure, I don't want oil or maybe boiling water on my feet!

Humbug,
One of the New Forest crowd had a system maybe you could use. It was a metal tube that ran over the exhast (under bonnet), connected to the nose (to get air) and the cabin by plastic tubing.
Any air that entered the tube at the nose flowed down the plastic pipe then through the metal where it was warmed by the exhaust, then into the cabin.
Seemed quite a neat idea to me. No fumes as the supply is from the front of the car, it's just heat it picks up along the way.

Not sure how effective if was though!

Cheers,
James

That last thing is sort of what I had in mind, with a fan to pull the air through... though maybe if it had a funnel thing on the front it would force a bit more air through anyway. Actually, maybe I could kill 2 birds with one stone and save some money by putting the intake behind the cooling radiator, then over the exhaust?! I already have a manual rad fan switch, so I could manually turn it on if necessary

BenB

posted on 8/2/07 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Of course there is always this

linky

which would prob do the trick..

caber

posted on 8/2/07 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of ideas:
1 Aldi have some seat heating mat things these would keep your bum and back warm.
2 15mm coper plumbing pipe run around the cockpit and fed from engine heater circuit will help, try along outside,return with a loop on the floor under the knees, small and practical installation

Forget the electric heaters they max about 300 watts a car heater at full is 4 to 5 Killowatts. i have left space for a mini heater in the cabin under the dash, I probably won't fit before SVA because of sharp edges. I have a land rover Carawagon that I fitted with a Webasto and small rediators that have two runs of copper held together with aluminium fins, these are too big for a locost but the one under my knees is the best palaced for direct heat while driving. You can strip any car heater for the matrix, a small radiator and use this with any kind of fan to keep footwell area warm, if the air intake is in the footwell rather than from outside it will be more efficient.

Caber

Surrey Dave

posted on 8/2/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Some people have used a Mini heater they a quite small and self contained
macnab

posted on 8/2/07 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
man is that one ugly heater Rescued attachment heater.jpg
Rescued attachment heater.jpg

MikeLR

posted on 8/2/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I dont have a cover over my pedal setup(Tiger Cat). It keeps my feet/legs etc nice and warm when the car warms up, at speed I get a good through put of air.It probably helps with the problem of the bonnet lifting.
It might not be the safest of options but I can " smell" any problems. On the way back from the show at Donnington I had a minor leak from one of my hoses and I smelt it! rather quickly ; a lot sooner than seeing steam.
Mike

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.