goodall

posted on 11/4/07 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
look at all those bottle of vinegar!

that would last me a few years and i make sweet and sour sauce every few weeks

works very well for all that, seems simpler than electroylise

[Edited on 11/4/07 by goodall]

RazMan

posted on 12/4/07 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Wow! That looks just as effective as electrolyis but without all the hassle.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 12/4/07 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
looks too good to be true ..... but you never know, it;s not april 1st?
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/4/07 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
I use this myself, I went to Asda and got a trolley full of their cheapest malt vinegar and filled up a big bucket. I was forever throwing things in it. It gets real nasty after a while and stuff builds up on the bottom that is minging. Very very smelly so best to keep it up next to your neighbours hedge

I does work that well and is so low cost that you could do an entire axle in a trough. If you went to catering suppliers that would be even cheaper.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 12/4/07 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome. Do you think you would have to first strip brake calipers, or just do them with pistons, seals and all in place?

Then replace the seals afterwards obviously.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 12/4/07 by Fred W B]

Peteff

posted on 12/4/07 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
It's acid.

I wouldn't put that stuff on my chips though, it's the acetic acid derived from acetone known as non-brewed condiment (chip shop vinegar) isn't it? Malt vinegar is the dear stuff

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/4/07 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
It does absolutely nothing to rubber or plastic, I've tried plenty and had no reactions. Great on spark plugs as well and paint is also unaffected but your hands well don’t even ask…

cadebytiger

posted on 12/4/07 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
remember that this is simply a dilute solution of acetic acid. Not sure how this would treat rubber bits.

would not leave things in there too long and would also try and wash as much of it off as possible after.

stevec

posted on 12/4/07 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
I think some chip shops get it in concentrated form and dilute it with water. That would shift some s**t.
I always put my salt and vinegar on when I get home, I am sure that putting chemical vinegar on your tasty chips has to be bad for you.
Oh no I feel a Pie coming on
Steve.

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/4/07 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Reminds me of that group of geologists that went out onto a volcanic acid lake to see how deep it was. The measuring line dissolved before it even reached the bottom and then their rubber dingy started to melt!!, only just made it back to shore alive. Numptys…

oadamo

posted on 12/4/07 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
iam gonna buy some today and try it. but i need a BIG tub to get the prop and axles in lol. it all seems to simple hope it works
adam

stevec

posted on 12/4/07 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Those Trug things they have at the garden centres are quite big.
Steve.

trogdor

posted on 12/4/07 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Reminds me of that group of geologists that went out onto a volcanic acid lake to see how deep it was. The measuring line dissolved before it even reached the bottom and then their rubber dingy started to melt!!, only just made it back to shore alive. Numptys…

hehehe most of the people on my course are geogists, and i am, kinda. not that i would admit that.

marvinsy

posted on 12/4/07 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
can i use other types of vinegar or is it just malt vinegar?
oadamo

posted on 12/4/07 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
i went to the corner shop got 4 bottles 60p each.iam gonna wait till the mrs going shopping and get her to get a few bottles about 20 i found an old oil tin and cut it open. just to test this out i droped an old hub in to see what happens and how long it takes

old hub

cut tin open put hub in

David Jenkins

posted on 12/4/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly works for me - it also removes the mill scale that you get on black mild steel.

One warning - once you take it out of the vinegar and rinse it off, give it some sort of coating (oil, paint, whatever) as it'll rust before your eyes!

cloudy

posted on 13/4/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
any news Oadamo?
oadamo

posted on 13/4/07 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
i forgot all about it but s**t me it works

this was the other side i tryed chiping it with a driver before i done it and it wouldnt come off. ive just washed it under the tap and give it a brush. ive just done a bit so you can see the diffrence.
i got told off for doing it in the sink lol.

Catpuss

posted on 21/4/07 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
I think some chip shops get it in concentrated form and dilute it with water. That would shift some s**t.
I always put my salt and vinegar on when I get home, I am sure that putting chemical vinegar on your tasty chips has to be bad for you.
Oh no I feel a Pie coming on
Steve.

Yep, there was an old story going round, prolly about 10 years ago of a chippie that got done when the assistant spod didn't dilute the vinegar down sufficiently. One customer ended up with acid burns in his stomach apparently.

Catpuss

posted on 21/4/07 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
I feel the urge to break in my Makro card and get a big catering bottle.
russbost

posted on 21/4/07 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
I've tried this & it works - up to a point - is there anything a little stronger thats easily accessible we could "beef it up a bit" without risking finding nothing in the pot when we go back to it, or no pot, no hands etc

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
oadamo

posted on 21/4/07 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
i only used a paint brush to clean it with.it would of been better with a wire brush.iam gonna buy some pickling vinegar to see if its better
adam

[Edited on 21/4/07 by oadamo]

MikeR

posted on 21/4/07 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
(i just about passed chemistry far too many years ago)

If you want to beef it up a little why not add a % of battery acid?

I'm curious what conidition this leaves the surface in. Can't help wondering if it would be a good degreaser and would start to etch the metal making painting easier.

Catpuss

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Vinegar is looking pretty good. I've had the plates imersed in 20lts of "Non brewed condiment" (acetic acid, water and caramel). The first few hours really worked well. Not so much progress overnight. I guess a lot of the acid has been used up.

I don't know what the reaction of mixing acetic acid and sulphuric acid would be. I guess you could try it.

Probably find chucking in a bottle of cilit bang (phosporic acid, as used in cola & wonder wheels) would have an effect too.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.