New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: seat belt mounting concerns
blakep82

posted on 20/4/07 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
seat belt mounting concerns

here's another one for you!

the SVA book says

quote:
Threaded bushes should be welded (at both ends) through the tube, and not be end mounted on the surface

but i don't have threaded bushes, I have seatbelt harness eyes welded rights on to the tube, and not welded through.

the thing is, my chassis is a ex-race chassis, and if its good for racing, surely its good for SVA?!

what do you think? am i reading the SVA book wrong? or how can i prove its good for hitting concrete walls on an oval at well over 150mph?!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ketchup

posted on 20/4/07 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
i have harness eye bolts welded into tube then welded to 3mm thick plates and they passed sva with no probs earlyer this month
blakep82

posted on 20/4/07 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
have you got any photos? I'm not sure how you mean, do the eye bolts go all the way through the tube? mine don't

I'll try and put some of mine up tomorrow

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ketchup

posted on 20/4/07 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
mine dont go all the way through either, i just left them proud of the tube by 4mm and filled the gap with weld Rescued attachment Photo-0066.jpg
Rescued attachment Photo-0066.jpg

Ketchup

posted on 20/4/07 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
another.. sorry pics are huge an not very clear! Rescued attachment Photo-0065.jpg
Rescued attachment Photo-0065.jpg

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/4/07 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Are toggle switches ok for racing? What about mirrors, visibility etc, the two are totally different, what may pass race rules doesn't mean it will pass the SVA.

For the SVA the harness eyes must be at least 8.8 hardness and a standard thread. Simply welding them on means that the entire load is taken by that weld and on amateur built cars that could be any quality. So they will expect it to be going through the tube, that the tube won't crush and it has a proper nut on the end.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 20/4/07 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
^ yep, racing and road are different, mirrors are not so important, and switches etc don't come into it, but as for the strength of seatbelt mounts, forces and speeds in racing are much higher, so thereofre the mountings should be stronger.

also, put like that, the mounting's in ketchups photos are also just relying on the strength of the welds, albeit more surface area of weld

anyway, here's mine
seat belt eye
seat belt eye

[Edited on 20/4/07 by blakep82]

[Edited on 20/4/07 by blakep82]

Ketchup

posted on 20/4/07 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
tube wall thickness is 4mm, machined overhang of 8mm halfway down tube, and its welded both sides of the plate. i know its down to the strength of the weld for safety, i think that things would bend before the weld fails. lets hope i am good enough ay, im not a professional welder! (that prob shows in the pics )

[Edited on 20/4/07 by Ketchup]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.