Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best paint for engine?
CraigJ

posted on 25/4/07 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Best paint for engine?

Just in to progress of cleaning my zx10 engine and plan on painting it this weekend. Can anyone recomend a paint that will last on the engine and wont peel off from the heat?

flak monkey

posted on 25/4/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Engine paint

Available from all good automotive paints suppliers, and probably from halfrauds for twice as much.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

jambojeef

posted on 25/4/07 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I dunno whether you are decided but, I would feel inclined not to paint a bike engine.

How about a good degrease and steam clean?

Being all alloy they come up quite well - I took the cam cover off and sandblasted it which made a bit of a difference too.

Geoff

CraigJ

posted on 25/4/07 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
The engine is a 88 zx10 which is allready painted black but the paint is well worn so i just want to bring it up to date a bit.

BenB

posted on 25/4/07 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
From an aesthetic point of view I couldn't really care about engine colour.....

but- does the paint colour effect the heat transmitted by the engine into the engine bay??? I would have though black would be a good radiator....

MkIndy7

posted on 25/4/07 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be careful with your Choice,

If it was a Cast Block i'd reccomend Tetrocyl Engine paint it looks Gorgeous!
But it recomends you use a primer for Aliminium (I didn't use any on my gearbox which is Smoothe Ali and it peeels off very easily with spilt oil/fuel etc.)

We've primed some other Ali Componnets with some Paltikote Metal Protekt primer and then painted them but they look nothing like as good as if the two shouldn't be mixed/are incompatible.

02GF74

posted on 26/4/07 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

but- does the paint colour effect the heat transmitted by the engine into the engine bay??? I would have though black would be a good radiator....

yes it does to some extend but the finish has a more significant effect; i.e. matt is far better than gloss.

so if you want optimum, then go for matt black - now you are wondering why engine makers don't do that, probably becasue it deosn't look so nice and matt finish being quite a rough surface picks up dirt very quickly.

ScotJebus

posted on 26/4/07 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
aye the matt look probs dont loook gd underbonnet and all the filth that a normal bike or car would get on it and not cleaned would look rank fast, but guess on a locost ya more likly to clean it. if you find matt black paint sutiable for it them go for it every little bit helps!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.