Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting my Locost
Mike Page

posted on 16/5/07 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Painting my Locost

Hi all

I have an ali panelled Locost racer in need of repanelling and some new fibreglass. I'd then like to get it into a nice new coat of gloss black paint. A couple of quick questions:

Can I paint it myself or has Health and Safety legislation taken over now?

IF I can paint it myself, presumably I just need a compressor, a spray gun and some practice.

Is it just easier to give it to somebody else?

Mike

ScotJebus

posted on 16/5/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
you can still paint at home just cant get hold of 2pac paints aint more. newer paints out that dont give of such dodgy fumes
worX

posted on 16/5/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
If it is the Ali panels that you are replacing that you want to paint, why don't you price up getting them powder coated?

Alternately look at Chris Masons Sprint R, he has used vinyl stickers down the side (I think)

not saying you shouldn't paint, just offering alternatives!

Steve

antonyg

posted on 17/5/07 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
just painted mine in a single garage with a 60 quid compresser i got from aldi, did the job okay.
Used an acid etch primer on the bare ally and fibreglass, then 4 (i think) coats of high build primer, 4 coats of the basecolour and 4 coats or clear lacquer.
Have got a very good finish after many hours of polishing
If the preoaration is good and you dont rush you will be able to get a good finish.
Only problem i found was overspray getting outside and covering driveway and neighbours car. Also get a good mask Arco do on for about 30 quid.
Where are you based as not a lot of places will sell you cellulose paint now i got mine from wood autos in wakefield, think they have a branch in huddersfield aswell
hope this helps
Antony

Bluemoon

posted on 17/5/07 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Yep if want to do it yourself you should probably get the celli paint soon, as they will not be able to sell it by the end of the year (not sure on the actual cut off date) as it's being phased out...

Dan

BenB

posted on 17/5/07 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Yup cellulose is only going to be available for "classic cars"- but you'll still be able to get alternatives to 2pac....
peterriley2

posted on 17/5/07 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
spraying well is a very hard task, ive just sprayed acaravan with hundreds of hours of prep time, and im gonna rub it down and start again because im not happy with it.
you can still get 2pack paint from ebay, thats where i got my jet black from, and its pretty good quility.
you may think youll save money but if you want a good job id see how much it costs to have it professionally done, it might not be so much as they buy paint in big quantities etc, and your bound to mess up at least a bit of it and have to do it again.
also i wouldnt spray black 2pack anywhere near anything, its exceptionally sticky and will colour a lot of stuff, if you do it outside the wind can carry it around 20metres, which the neighbours may not be happy about...

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

Mike Page

posted on 18/5/07 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice.

I have to repaint quite often due to the rough-and-tumble of Locost racing. The car looks like a dog's dinner and is starting to be an embarrassment.

I like the vinyl idea.

Fortunately I have a large airfield at my disposal, so I'll probably go for outdoor painting. It doesn't need to be perfect, just look presentable.

I heard the law had changed, but from what you're saying, eBay is a good source of paint for a while.

Cheers

Mike

Simon W

posted on 18/5/07 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
So how does the synthetic paint compare to cellulose? I will also be needing to paint some aluminium panels for a Locost racer so not looking for a perfect "showroom" finish but want it to look half respectable.
Peteff

posted on 18/5/07 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I painted a bike front mudguard for the shop the other day in black synthetic and it took longer to go off but it shone without any cutting or rubbing.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

wilkingj

posted on 19/5/07 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
PLEASE... Remember that 2 Pack paint gives off poisionous fumes. Professional sprayers have to wear Complete coveralls and an Air Fed Breathng Mask. My drinking partner sprays this stuff all day for Marshalls Special Bdies Division, so I expect he knows what he is talking about.

Please investigate the safety aspect of Two Pack Paint BEFORE spraying.

Cellulose isnt too nice either, PLEASE take the apropiate precautions.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 22/5/07 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Cellulose will still be available for boat painting so if you want to paint something the same colour as boats are available in, head down to the nearest boatyard, just don't tell them what it is actually going to be used for.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.