Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT defender fooked take 2...can anyone diagnose?
tegwin

posted on 1/6/07 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
OT defender fooked take 2...can anyone diagnose?

Hi guys. My sister has a 300TDI Defender 90' and its been pampered and cared for very well..

However its deffinately not well...

Here are the symptoms and history..

Cambelt, pulley and tensioner changed in the lakes about a month ago, and then the vehicle used for local driving for 2 weeks.....

Then a 200 mile motorway journey home, few days rest and then a 250 mile journey down south...

Sister wakes up the morning after the journey down south to notice a puddle of coolant and engine oil under the car...lifts the bonnet and there is oil spray on the nearside under bonnet area covering the left hand crankcase and the top of the engine....

She put about 1 litre of oil back into the engine to bring it up to level again, topped up the coolant and tried to drive home...

Got about half way back, stopped at service station for M&Ms and the vehicle wouldnt start and there was a bit more oil spray... (dont ask me why she even tried to drive it...)

The vehicle was rescued by the RAC and taken to our local indpendant garage who couldnt figure it out,...they pretty much didnt look at it to be honest...

I have had a look at it and there is minor oil seepage around the cyl-head gasket, but most of the oil is on the exhaust side down the side of the crank case. There is a deffinate surface coating of oil inside the intercooler pipes.

Interestingly the engine starts fine if you short out the solenoid on the starter with a screwdriver, so I suspect that somehow the start wire has been shorted...Im not sure if its related to the oil loss problem...

I removed the intercooler pipes and ran the engine without the turbo connected....The engine is much quieter without the boost( no tappet noise) With the engine running there is some bubbles of oil being blown out of the turbo by the air movment...not a huge amount, but its there...

The turbo seems to be blowing and spools up ok...

The engine temp guage gets up to "temp" and sits there...and I cant get it to loose any more oil or coolant....

Oh, and the water pump seems to have also developed a rattle/cracking noise as it spins..its intermittant and irregular...

There is a mild blue smoke comming from the exhaust which wasnt there before and its beeing a bit sluggish...

Honestly, Im suspecting turbo or headgasket failure, but I have no idea...

Does anyone have any thoughts on all that?

I plan to take the waterpump to bits tommorow and see if thats has failed causing the engine to overheat resulting in oil purge from somewhere...

Should I just take it to landrover dealers or are there fairly east ways of diagnosing this?

I could take the head off and check the headgasket, take the turbo off and check that etc...but its going to take a while..

Anyone? HEEELLP ME lol

car builder

posted on 1/6/07 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
land rover 300tdi

hi there, try this page, they know a lot about landys, lot of help when i had mine.

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/

James.

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 1/6/07 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Difficult one this without seeing it. If you take off the pipe from the air filter to the turbo you shuold be able to get you fingers in. Try moving the impellor to see if it has any sideways movement. If there is a lot of movement its probably the turbo that has gone but have just been out to check my disco and it has got some movement but works ok (its done 200,000 miles though). Strange one about the starter but its near the turbo. They all seem to have a coating of oil in the pipes. I take it it ran ok after the timing belt change? They would have had to remove the radiator and intercooler to do the belt so might be a clue there. Wish i could help more. I will ask about and see if anybody knows any more than me. Good luck.... keep smiling..... Ronnie

ps Do what i am about to do and have a small drink (followed by lots of big drinks)

froggy

posted on 1/6/07 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
first thing go and buy a couple of cans of brake cleaner and get all the oil off where you suspect its leaking, take the pipe off the turbo compressor and watch it spool up and see if any oil mist comes through,does sound like its related to the cam belt job could be the belt tension has slackened off and its jumped a tooth at the pump

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.