Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike gearbox swap
Aico

posted on 15/6/07 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Bike gearbox swap

Is it possible to fit a bike transmission to a car engine? What would you need to build to make it fit? I know how the car setup looks like, but I can't seem to find much good info about the bikes. On pics I can see the transmission being a 1 piece with the engine. Is this right or can you seperate them?
DIY Si

posted on 15/6/07 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
They tend to be an all in one job. The entire case splits in half normally, so there isn't a gearbox casing as such.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/6/07 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Most are all in one with the engine as Si says, so unless you have a CNC machine shop to manufacture your own gearbox casing to hold all the gearsets and mate up to the car engine, its not possible Im afraid.

The only exceptions I can think of are some BMW bikes which have seperate gearboxes, but you still wouldnt be able to fit it to a car engine very easlily at all, and I doubt it would take the torque output anyway.

[Edited on 15/6/07 by ChrisGamlin]

ScotJebus

posted on 15/6/07 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
you wont be able to get a bike gearbox onto a car engine without a vast amount of work. If you are after the tap forward to go down and pull to go up gear change (sorry cant remember name for this type of gear box) then you can get them for cars. I know that you can get them in a type 9 from burton power, but they will cost quite a lot.
Aico

posted on 15/6/07 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Sequential gearboxes for car engines are very, very expensive. You can sometimes get a used one for maybe 3.000 pounds, but this is just too much.
mark chandler

posted on 15/6/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Alternative is to get an electronically controlled auto gearbox, you can frig these to tiptronic use
Aico

posted on 15/6/07 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
That might be a solution. What gearboxes from what cars can I use? Also what is involved with those gearboxes? Does it need a lot of electronics or is it a simple switchlike system?
Bob C

posted on 16/6/07 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I heard of a sequential "shifter mechanism" to bolt on the BW T5 box (as found on sierra cosworths and lots of american cars). Never seen one though
Bob

bimbleuk

posted on 16/6/07 at 05:15 AM Reply With Quote
As Bob says I read about one too ages ago but never found much about it since.
russbost

posted on 16/6/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't BMW bikes have a separate gearbox like the old Nortons & Triumphs etc? Even if so don't know if it would stand tuned car engine torque?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mark chandler

posted on 17/6/07 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Chrysler torque flight was one, also Borg warner 63/64.

You can get the 'autoness' removed and just select gears, trouble is only 3 speed auto boxes.

I believe that the layer zf auto boxes also have a box of tricks which control the shifts, but whatever it going to be expensive.

Better off with a bike engine complete and a full power shift kit for £150.

Regards Mark

chunkytfg

posted on 18/6/07 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
most bike gearboxes as pointed out are incorperated into the crankcases however there are exceptions.

Of the top of my head moto guzzi's and some of the larger BMW's have a proper bolt onto the back of the engine type gearbox much like you'd fit to a RWD car. They are also shaft drive so fitting a propshaft whoud be relatively easy.

Either that or some of the massey furegesso........sorry i mean harley davidsons have seperate gearboxes from the engines with a ~4" rubber belt transfering the power from engine to gearbox. IMO i wouldnt even consider this option though if only because i cant stand HD's

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.