Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering wheel size
andrew-theasby

posted on 15/6/07 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Steering wheel size

Hi, just thinking about getting a better steering wheel than the standard sierra one for after sva. What diameter do people reccommend as i havent got mine up and running yet? Its a 2l engine not a bec if that makes a difference to the weight on the front wheels and ill probably use a quick rack in the future i think. Thanks
bigrich

posted on 15/6/07 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
personally i would use something in the 280 to 300 mm range, but you may prefer a slightly larger wheel

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

David Jenkins

posted on 15/6/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I've got 10" (ooer!)

Works for me, as I've got quite long legs. It makes slow-speed steering quite tough when combined with a quick rack, but it's a delight when on the move.

Wadders

posted on 15/6/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Mines 240mm flat bottomed, in a bec, with quick rack and 185 front tyres, looks cool, and the steering is light, fine for the road, but for track use its too small i'm going to change it for a round 265mm one, which i think will give me more control. Although to be fair, its the flat botom that causes me problems more than the diameter.
Al.

andrew-theasby

posted on 15/6/07 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, i did wonder about a flat bottomed one to make it easier to get in but youve confirmed my thoughts that it might be a bit arkward. Forgot to mention tyres-195, and will be getting some track use. Thanks
Wadders

posted on 15/6/07 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
How very dare you Mr Mason

or could it be your over eager right foot Al

i had a 320 on the indy and now have a 260 on the Sprint R,

both feel fine for respective cars

Chris

Wadders

posted on 15/6/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just remembered, my pal has a zetec westie with 195 fronts and a 260 round wheel, it drives lovely, steering not too heavy even at parking speeds.

Al.

Originally posted by andrew-theasby
Thanks, i did wonder about a flat bottomed one to make it easier to get in but youve confirmed my thoughts that it might be a bit arkward. Forgot to mention tyres-195, and will be getting some track use. Thanks

Hellfire

posted on 16/6/07 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
We have a 320mm steering wheel with flat bottom, 195 tyres and quick rack. The steering feels good on road and track. I reckon a smaller diameter wheel coupled with a quick rack might be a bit twitchy at high speeds although we've never actually tried a smaller diameter wheel.

We went for the flat bottomed wheel simply for ease of getting in and out of the indy and certainly don't find it awkward.

Phil

[Edited on 16-6-07 by Hellfire]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.