Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seat belt top mounting height?
ditchlewis

posted on 6/7/07 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Seat belt top mounting height?

One of the fails on my sva was the height of my upper belt fixing point.

This is my understanding of the rule am I right?

When the seat is in its rear most position, I measure 135mm from the back of the seat and mark a point on the seat squab (mine is a fixed back). Then the fixing point is equal to or greater than 450mm above this point?

I want to make sure how much I have to cut out of the foam padding before I start.

If I can’t get enough clearance I may look at squab seats from tiger.

Ditch

robertst

posted on 6/7/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
looks like you forgot that wooden block they put on top of the seat? they measure it from there.

check the SVA manual, its there somewhere

Tom

robertst

posted on 6/7/07 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
here you go:

[edit:] oh and if you have harness holes on the seats the lower edge of these are considered to be the reference point...not the seat belt anchorages themselves so the harness holes should also be at least 450mm from the reference point

[Edited on 6/7/07 by robertst]

[Edited on 6/7/07 by robertst] Rescued attachment sbmp.jpg
Rescued attachment sbmp.jpg

Tom

bob

posted on 6/7/07 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
The block they put on the seat up against the back is 53mm high and 136mm deep.

This was one of my fail points on the MK as well, to achieve the correct height i had to remove the complete padding/foam from the babycub seats i originally fitted. Rescued attachment MK Indy build pics 173.jpg
Rescued attachment MK Indy build pics 173.jpg

02GF74

posted on 6/7/07 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
can you not raise the mounting points? longer bolts and steel tubes? wot SVA man advise me to do and I did and it passed.
ditchlewis

posted on 6/7/07 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks. so it has to be at least 503mm.

bob, thanks for that i had a feeling that it would be hard for me to achieve with the baby cub, i may have to go for squab seats after all.

the seats might have a value if i dont butcher them first with my fat ar#e i think i would have trouble fitting into the frame i think i will have enough support from the trans tunnel and the sides with my girth.

the bolts are part of the belt and if i played with these i may fail on the belt being tampered with. if i raise the anchor point i may have to triangulate it, there was a mixed opinion about this from the 2 testers..

any way i felt that the baby cub made me sit to high and i always wanted to sit lower.

ditch

[Edited on 6/7/07 by ditchlewis]

bob

posted on 6/7/07 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I just happen to have 4 long seat belt bolts doing nothing in the garage, they are 8.8 spec and 7/16 unf i'll pop in the garage and measure the length and if they are of any use i'll mail them to you.

bob

posted on 6/7/07 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
7/16 UNF bolts with 75mm of thread plus 4 new nylocs.

These are marked RSB 5 or S and must be ok as they were on my car for SVA.

Not sure how high you can bolt the top harnesses before some kind of bracing is required though, i would go for the foam removal. Rescued attachment seat belt bolt 75mm thread length.jpg
Rescued attachment seat belt bolt 75mm thread length.jpg

ditchlewis

posted on 6/7/07 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Well i took the foam out of the seat and i was right my fat ar~e did not fit comforably so the seats will have to go.

squab seats here i come.

Ditch

bob

posted on 6/7/07 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Well if you could get a pass with no foam in the seats it would be just a case of refitting the foam afterwards like i did.

I must admit the cobra roadster 7's i bought from cashy are far more comortable, although i've never measured them up for SVA legalities.

ditchlewis

posted on 6/7/07 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
with the padding out i have 700mm on the passenger side bit less on the drivers side. my seats have side pieces on and are 15" wide, they are not quite like the ones in your pic. this means with the padding out the gap at the bottom is about 13" far to tight for me. after 3 minutes i was very uncomfortable so the 2 1/2 hour drive is a no no.

if they did not have the sides (like yours) they would be great.

they are very very comfortable.

ditch

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.