Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance
The Doc

posted on 9/9/07 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance

Just thinking - Is there any point in insuring beyond TPF&Theft. Presumably if the car were to be damaged we'd fix it ouselves.

What's the concensus here?

Mike

Marlon

posted on 9/9/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've got mine fully comp but for parts only as this was an option with greyham sykes, it seemed to make sense to me as I would repair the beast myself but at least I wouldn't have to buy the parts If it was my fault.

hth.
john.

Band Anyone?

Linky to SWMBO 's band
Linky to Brother in laws band
MKoc 1081

speedyxjs

posted on 9/9/07 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Depends how old you are.
If, like me, your used to getting quotes in 4 figures its probably best to go tft but if you are 'more experienced' and the difference is 2 figures (i would guess) than go fully comp and not have to pay for parts in the unfortunate event of an accident.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/9/07 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Go comp every time, imaging you had an accident 100 miles from home and the car was immobilised, the police call out the approved recovery agent (which you cannot object to as you cannot move the car within 20 mins). It takes you 2 days to sort out recovery from the salvage yard to your home. You will get a bill for £112 fixed fee recovery and £18 per day storage plus vat. All this would be paind for with comp insurance (including the recovery home!).

Its not just the cover to your car that you get with comp insurance.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Dangle_kt

posted on 9/9/07 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Depends how old you are.
If, like me, your used to getting quotes in 4 figures its probably best to go tft but if you are 'more experienced' and the difference is 2 figures (i would guess) than go fully comp and not have to pay for parts in the unfortunate event of an accident.

How old are you mate?

I'm 24 and only been driving a few years (had my bike licence since 18)

The Doc

posted on 9/9/07 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you tell how old I am by the pics on my avatar. Bit trad my motor doesn't one think old chap!

50 last Dec by the way

ATB

Mike

DarrenW

posted on 10/9/07 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Id imagine the difference in the 2 quotes would be so small that not going comp would be false economy. Im 36 and only pay circa £200 for 5K limited miles.

Pezza

posted on 10/9/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I paid £400 fc for the year on my westy when I got it, I was 24 at the time.
That was limited to 3k miles, but I had only passed my test the year before and had a fault claim and sp30.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

stevebubs

posted on 11/9/07 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Bear in mind that, given your age, if the insurance is more than £200 then IMHO you're being seriously ripped off. Then work out how much a repair would cost.

I've had my Fury since I was 26 and it's never cost me more than £200 fully comp. Last renewal was closer to £170 and I'm only 31 now...

[Edited on 11/9/07 by stevebubs]

wicket

posted on 12/9/07 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
FC this year £128 with Footman James for myself and son to drive, limited mileage 3K. I am an 'old git' 65 and son of 35.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.