Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dashboard
oadamo

posted on 21/10/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
dashboard

hi this is prob a stupid question but can you have the dashboard alloy or does it have to have some sort of cover for the sva. i was thinking of making the dash taper down to be part of the top of the tunnel.
adam

Dangle_kt

posted on 21/10/07 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
think the material don't matter - its the radius edge/sticky out bits they are interested in.
StevieB

posted on 21/10/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
You can have an ali dash - that's one choice I'm thinking of at the moment.

The difference is in the radius - 19mm radius for solid dashes, 5mm (I think) for padded dashed (padded so the tester can't feel any edges underneath).

roadrunner

posted on 21/10/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
You can have alloy dash, as long as the bottom edge has a decent radius, but watch out for the sun reflecting into your face.

Peteff

posted on 21/10/07 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
watch out for the sun reflecting into your face.

I had to cover my tunnel top for the same reason. My friend Kev had an alloy dash and had to dull it as well.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

chrisg

posted on 21/10/07 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
The Haynes Roadster passed the SVA last year with an ali dash, rolled at the botom, we also panelled the areas under the dash to the footwell, easy to do and prevents the SVA man getting his orb in there to check the edges.

I'd agree with Pete about the shineyness (is that a word) a nice rub with a scotch brite sorts it.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

nick205

posted on 21/10/07 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Check out Hellfire's website and archive for some inspiration on ally dash design
StevieB

posted on 21/10/07 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I thought about making my dash from ali and then getting it powder coated or anodised black.

Just thought it would look good (but my ideas are beyond my fabrication skills so it'll probably come out like a toddlers school project!)

oadamo

posted on 22/10/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
my computers broke so soz about the delay getting back thanks for your help. alloy it is then ill also have to look at getting it anodised ill see how much it is and what it looks like when done.
adam

02GF74

posted on 23/10/07 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I should bring my camera in to show what I have done.

I used 2 mm aluminium and it is quite floppy but since there is a rollwed edge and supported on the outer edge to scuttle it is fine. the centre part is a bit floopy - no rolled edge but that will be bolted to a small piece between the dash and transmission tunnel - get to be made.

I planned to cover it form the start - andunless you have special tools or are ultra skillful, the rolled over edges on mine a a bit of a pigs ear plus the edge is not continuous. I pu'ed (is that a verb?) small curved bits at the corners so it feels like one continous curve.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.