Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Storage and BEC Carbs
Ferrino

posted on 22/10/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Storage and BEC Carbs

My BEC 7 is having to go into storage for seven months or so and I will be away from it during this time (ie. won't be able to start it periodically or anything).

I was therefore wondering what you guys recommended doing to the car before I put it into hibernation (it's going to live in a nice cosy garage)?

It is a carbed '99 R1, should I consider draining the fuel from the carbs or just leave them be?

Thanks so much!

Jon Ison

posted on 22/10/07 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Defo drain the fuel.
worX

posted on 22/10/07 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've never had to do this myself, but would it be a good idea to disconnect the fuel line and run it until it stops, then dropping the float bowls?

Or would it be best just to strip the carbs off it and down altogether?

Steve

nick205

posted on 22/10/07 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
remove the plugs and put a bit of oil into the cylinders from above, then refit the plugs.

An oil change when you get back.

Don't leave the hand brake on.

Set the car up on axle stands to preserve the tyres.

That should do it.

smart51

posted on 22/10/07 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need to remove the float bowls to drain them. You just need a 5mm allen key to loosen the drain bolts.
UncleFista

posted on 22/10/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sod all that malarky, just leave it with me while you're away, I'll make sure your petrol doesn't go "off", hell, I'll even contribute a (small) percentage of the fuel costs and you won't need to touch a screwdriver

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Ferrino

posted on 22/10/07 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Great, thanks. I will drain the carbs then.

Just went out to check how much fuel was left in the tank and there is a good 20 litres! I can't be arsed to remove the tank and tip it out - is it safe to just disconnect the fuel line from the carbs and run it into a jerry can for the tintop (as suggested)? I guess I just need to make sure I cut off the pump as soon as it empties! Cheers again!

nick205

posted on 23/10/07 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
Sod all that malarky, just leave it with me while you're away, I'll make sure your petrol doesn't go "off", hell, I'll even contribute a (small) percentage of the fuel costs and you won't need to touch a screwdriver

Maybe there's a gap in the market for a new service here

awinter

posted on 23/10/07 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
put some fuel preserver in it and it won't go off.
Peteff

posted on 23/10/07 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel preserve/octane booster and if you oil the bores, turn the engine over with the plugs out and don't refit your iridiums, put some old plugs in for the restart or fit new ones after it. This stuff from MM will do it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

kastrato

posted on 23/10/07 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Disconnect the battery too. Leave the tank with petrol in to prevent it from rust.
I have left mine in greece for the winter the only thing I did was to raise it up on tripodes (stands) and taken the wheels off. I disconnect the battery and I left the flouids all in to prevent rust and protect it from cold (refering on the cold days is better the fluids to be in the radiator etc)
Talking about carbs I didn't do anything but I hear that you need to drain them. Can somebody explain to me why this is necessary to be done?

MK INDY fireblade

Coose

posted on 23/10/07 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
The petrol tends to evaporate out of the carbs and leaves a residue which will cause untold problems, blocking jets and emulsion tubes etc.

Do as above: -

Drain the carbs,
Squirt of oil down each bore and give it a momentary prod on the starter with the plugs out,
Disconnect the battery or buy an Optimate,
If it's an ali tank it obviously wont rust, but if it's a steel one it may. If steel, a touch of two stroke oil in the fuel and a good slosh around will help, but remember to drain the fuel out before you restart it or it'll end up smelling too nice! Oh, and you'll think that there's something wrong as there'll be a hint of blue smoke out of the chimberley until you flush it out of the tank!
Axle stands isn't a bad idea, but put them under the chassis and not the wishbones.
Change the brake fluid before you bring it back out again.
Other than that, all should be fine!

Spin 'er off Well...

kastrato

posted on 23/10/07 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't drain the carbs and I did put the axle stand under the wishbones.
How much damage can happend by these until xmass which is where I will go to the car again (Greece) and do them properly (drain the carbs and place the axle stands under the chassis)
How do I drain the carbs?

MK INDY fireblade

Ferrino

posted on 23/10/07 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - will drain carbs and do the oil squirt trick! It's an ali tank so no worries there - I think I will tip in some of this 'fuel preserver' rather than emptying the tank with the pump, if you guys think it will be OK...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.