Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mountain Bike Lights / Night Rides!
Guinness

posted on 9/11/07 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Mountain Bike Lights / Night Rides!

I'm impressed! I was bored last night, so I popped round to Argos, bought a new set of rechargable headlamps for my mountain bike and went for a night ride.

Wow. Technology has moved a long way since the old Ever Ready lights I used to have on my bikes as a kid.

I managed 4 miles of off road riding (in complete darkness) before it got too cold and I came home, another 4 miles.

Still buzzing from it now. If it stays dry tonight, I think I'll go out again!

Mike

ned

posted on 9/11/07 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
which lights have you got? I could do with some if I'm to make use of my new bike over the winter months...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 9/11/07 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=1500000701&productId=1500040013

Only bought them cause the front one is rechargable. Comes with a little red led light for the back too.

Was going to go for the more expensive set, but wasn't sure I'd get into night riding, so thought I'd limit my investment initially.

Cheers

Mike

Dangle_kt

posted on 9/11/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
i remember when nightsuns were over £100 a set, and I bet they weren't as good as that one. Bulb and batteries sure have come a long way.
BenB

posted on 9/11/07 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I rigged up a 12v 100W projector halogen light on the front of my bike.
Not surprisingly the 8Ah didn't last very long but it sure was bright Flipping heavy battery though!!!

tegwin

posted on 9/11/07 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have a two year old Cateye Twin...

A pair od 10W halogeon bulbs and a large sealed lead acid battery provide enough light to do even the hardest offroad trails... Two hours with both lamps on isnt bad...

Just wish I could afford the latest one with Lithium batteries and xenon bulbs..

ed_crouch

posted on 9/11/07 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh, those HiD ones are really good, but last time I was in the bike shop I saw a bloke hand over 400 big ones for just a front light. As a matter of fact, they threw in the £35 rear light he wanted for free!

Blimey.

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

car builder

posted on 9/11/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
well done, night rides are mega, i use a 10 and 15w lamps, electron, one spot one wide, both have switches , not that bad a price at £75,

if you are going to do it more often i would recomend getting your self a rechargeable head torch, mines got a LED and a spot light, cable tied to my hemet, makes a big differance.

happy riding.

C10CoryM

posted on 10/11/07 at 02:15 AM Reply With Quote
Ive always figured if your lights are too good, it ruins the fun of night riding . I just use one of those cheap LED lamps on the handlebars, and another LED setup on my helmet. The helmet light is especially nice when you hear a large CRASH in the trees behind you in bear country. Without it, you snap your head around to see whats behind you, and realize you can't see ANYTHING behind you. There have been very, very few times Ive slipped into the "flight" instinct.... but that did it I now wear a helmet light at night.

Also, a small flashlight is a good thing to have in your pocket in case the others fail/break. Walking/riding in the dark woods hurts.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.