Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Odyssey Seats
Black Cat

posted on 9/11/07 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Odyssey Seats

Recently brought the Intatrim Odyseey seat for my Tiger Avon, my question is, what type of seat belt do you use as I understand that the four point harness type are not suitable for this type of seat as it has no holes in the head rest for the harness and if you use the fore point they would have a tendency to slip down and would therefore fail the SVA.

I have fitted the normal type of roll bar but have added a cross bar a low level to mount the fixing bolts too as Tigers bolt positions are not suitable for this seat.

can I use a three Harness set up or should I go for a lap belt?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

scootz

posted on 9/11/07 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got the seats yet?

If not, then get in touch with Intatrim - they offer the Odyssey with harness slots (if that's what you want).

BenB

posted on 9/11/07 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure if you use the harness slots that your harness isn't too wide. Unless you're planning on regularly testing the crash resistance of your car 2" straps are fine and won't cut into your neck half as much as 3"!!! I've got 3" straps going through the slots in my seat (admittedly not an Odyssey but unless the headrest of the seat is very wide there may be a similar issue) and had to fit pads to stop them chaffing. If I was going to buy my harnesses again I'd get 2" (I'm tempted to get some even now- they're QR harnesses so I could just change the upper harnesses to 2" straps (or even the 3" to 2" HANS type harnesses)....
mistergrumpy

posted on 9/11/07 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Slip down where to fail SVA? I thought you just put the straps either side of the headrest. As long as the mount is the right height from the seat base then there shouldn't be a problem should there?

smart51

posted on 9/11/07 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have intatrim odyssey seats and 4 point harnesses. I passed SVA. You don't need harness holes I don't think.
myeates

posted on 9/11/07 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
was speaking to intatrim about 6months ago they were very helpful and they said they are fine as long as the mounts are high enough then they wont slip
Avoneer

posted on 9/11/07 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
They will be fine for SVA.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andrew.carwithen

posted on 9/11/07 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Intatrim purposely designed the Odyssey with a narrow shoulder/headrest to allow four-point shoulder straps to go around rather than through the seat. However, they will fit harness holes if you so wish when ordering.
I've fitted Intatrim Voyagers (basically a low-back version of the Odyssey) and four-point harnesses in my Avon.
Like you, my Tiger rollbar has an additional cross-member welded across it which accomodates the upper harness mounts in order to achieve the min. height req'd.

Andy.

Black Cat

posted on 10/11/07 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply' s, however, reading the Sparco seat belt fitting instruction, it says, "Harness belt system will not function properly and must not be installed in vehicles equipped with seats which do not have restraints with no openings for shoulder belts. Shoulder belts will tend to slip off the shoulder".

If the seats have been designed with a narrow head restraint and the harness fixing on the top roll bar are close together then I would tend to agree that they should not slip down.

Has anybody had a problem with this type of seat and using a four point harness with the SVA man, if not then I am going with the seat and the four point harness?

Steve

andrew.carwithen

posted on 10/11/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
I dug this out of 'Lightning's photo archive.
(Hope he doesn't mind)
It shows four-points and Odysseys in his Avon.
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is how he presented the car at SVA (even though it looks like he used the original low top mounts on the chassis.) I seem to recall him saying he thinned out the seat squabs in order to get them to sit lower and hence giving height req'd for SVA.

Andy. Rescued attachment over the front.jpg
Rescued attachment over the front.jpg

andrew.carwithen

posted on 10/11/07 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Whoops! Sorry, this is a better pic... Rescued attachment seats.jpg
Rescued attachment seats.jpg

Black Cat

posted on 11/11/07 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Andy, I'm going to go with that option.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.