Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Heater or no...?
jlparsons

posted on 10/3/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Heater or no...?

My limited time in 7alikes has been in warmer months, but I'm keen for my build to be as cold weather usable as possible. My question is this - with all that wind buffeting about, is there any noticeable benefit in having a heater blowing hot air into the footwells or at you from the dash? I'll not have a windscreen to demist so no SVA issues not having one, as far as I know?
Gut feeling tells me it'll make not a lot of odds. On the other hand drop top manufacturers seem to go to a lot of trouble to blast their occupants with hot air, ie mercedes airscarf system which (I think) blasts you from over your shoulders. And you've got a lot of heat to play with when you tap it from the coolant circuit...
So what do people think? What difference has it made in your cars if you bothered?

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/3/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Fit a heater and stick the ducting up either your trouser leg or into your jacket, toasty you could go all NASA and fit plumbing connections onto a jacket for a high tec spaceman look

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 10/3/08 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Fit a heater and stick the ducting up either your trouser leg or into your jacket, toasty you could go all NASA and fit plumbing connections onto a jacket for a high tec spaceman look
Ooooh now that sounds nice.......... as i'm sitting here looking out the window at the 45+mph winds and driving rain!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 10/3/08 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ the sun came out earlier down here but its a bit overcast now

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

BenB

posted on 10/3/08 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
My feet rarely get cold when I'm in the car- the firewall and drivetunnel get quite nicely toast warm. Might be nice to have some warm air for the rest of the cabin but Se7ens are so open it'd be difficult to keep the air in place. By the time the warm air has mixed with the cold air and you've taken wind chill into effect I doubt it'd make much difference....
paulmw

posted on 10/3/08 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
What about a heated seat. You can buy after market seat pads which plug into the cigarette lighter.

http://www.waeco.co.uk/shop/details.aspx?c=3&s=12&i=&p=281

I am sure you could add another battery

BenB

posted on 10/3/08 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Another battery would only be a temporary measure (ie if the alternator can't keep up with supply you'll only get so far before running out of electrons)... A beefier alternator is the answer if you're running high current drains (the battery should only be discharging during starting)....

I've got a nice 12v heated blanket in the garage. Not had to use it yet whilst out on a blat... Good thing too what with my 28A alternator!!! Hehehehe....

jlparsons

posted on 10/3/08 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
heated seat... hmm. If i'm going to plug anything in I like the idea of >this<.

Of course, a cheaper version would be a good thing.

[Edited on 10/3/08 by jlparsons]

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

paulmw

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I like it....... looks a bit village people though
indykid

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
fit a pinto. the draught from the exhaust manifold keeps you nice and warm in all weather.

tom

jlparsons

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
This might do it... link.

caber

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
What about a cheap version that also gives you a massage?

linky

Caber

Guinness

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have a jacket / trousers set that I used to ski in. That keeps me lovely and toasty when out and about in the silly car during the winter!

Cost me about £60 all in, best of all it doesn't need a battery, and if I sell the car it'll come with me! Also keeps you warm when filling up with petrol (even if I do look a bit like a michelen man!)

Mike

Humbug

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Along the lines of the ski suit, what about a hang gliding suit? This one is on special and comes with high visibility top part into the bargain. Looks reasonable for £79linky

rusty nuts

posted on 10/3/08 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Good set of thermals!
saxoboy

posted on 15/3/08 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
We build these cars to enjoy....heaters are for wimps :O) just take all your clothes off and prented its warm get in the car and drive it like you stole it....no ones every gonna stop you!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.