Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dashboards
brynhamlet

posted on 22/3/08 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Dashboards

I've seen on here more than once the idea of making a dash out of ali and forming the bottom edge around a broom handle to give a rounded edge. I am doing it post SVA but it still seems a good idea.

But here I am, got the ali, got the broom, but how do a get the radius keeping it looking respectable, especially as I am thinking of the keeping a brushed ali finish

caber

posted on 22/3/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Broom not big enough! You need a diameter about 38mm.I dressed my ally panel around a 38mm piece of tube with a rubber mallet. I used clamps to hold the panel onto the tube and beat it from the centre outwards in about 3 passes, it worked very nicely though I decided not to leave it ally but covered it in Vinyl without padding. At SVA all the instruments were in the safe area behind the Sierra steering wheel, the passenger side was blank. I also made two small triangular sections and radiused the edge facing into the car. I also put edging strip on the back edges though they did not get looked at by Mr SVA.

I like mine it is very retro!

Caber

PS check my photo archive for Dash pictures

[Edited on 3/22/2008 by caber]

mark chandler

posted on 22/3/08 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Use something soft, like wood.

Its hard to form small width sheets, you really need to clamp it and roll the edge over by hand as far as possible then with a wide piece of wood gentle work the metal over the handle.

Try with a few offcuts to perfect your technic.

If you are having limited success try holding the block of wood against the metal and bashing the wood with a hammer.

Macbeast

posted on 22/3/08 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Worked for me

dash roll 2
dash roll 2

pmw

posted on 22/3/08 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Why 38mm, SVA manual states 19mm radius on lower edge ?
mistergrumpy

posted on 22/3/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ah. Because a 19mm radius = a 38mm diameter. Thats why to use 38mm diameter pipe.
Me and Gav did mine. Clamped a 50mm pipe to his worktop and sandwiched the edge of the ally between these. We then heated it with a blowtorch then put gloves on and just bent it over by hand using brute force. Came out really well. All credit to Gav. It was his idea.

[Edited on 22/3/08 by mistergrumpy]

RichB

posted on 22/3/08 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
I bent mine round a woodon post. Watch out for legroom though. My first attempt was straight across the scuttle and I found it was severely limited. I've now changed it to be angled at the sides (while still keeping the radius). I'll put some photos in my archive.

Rich

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.