Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fire Extinguisher
mike smith1

posted on 7/4/08 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Fire Extinguisher

Hi All,

I have a flamebeater fire extinguisher to fit, i wanted to fit it on the back panel in between the seats, but I have the intercom system mounted on top of the tunnel at the back, this means that the flamebeater would be sitting proud of the boot panel, and i think it would look naff!

Is there anything to stop me mounting it in the engine bay on the battery tray? I understand that you have to get the bonnet off to get to it, but hopefully i wont need it!!

Or unless you can provide an alternative location, pictures would be good!!

Cheers Mike

[Edited on 7/4/08 by mike smith1]

02GF74

posted on 7/4/08 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
a bad idea - most car fires originate in the engine bay so you would need to lift bonnet to get at it - who is to say the flames will prevent you from doing so?

iank

posted on 7/4/08 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
In front of the drivers seat.
Low center of gravity, easy to grab and out of the way. If you do it right even sliding seats can be made to work.

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/experience/modifications/fireextinguisher/fireextinguisher.html

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

worX

posted on 7/4/08 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely here, or if it won't fit then in front of the Pax seat...

Don't put it in your engine bay...

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by iank
In front of the drivers seat.
Low center of gravity, easy to grab and out of the way. If you do it right even sliding seats can be made to work.

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/experience/modifications/fireextinguisher/fireextinguisher.html

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/4/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
if you have an engine fire, you can't use it and then it will explode from the heat (taking the battery with it ) and blow the front off your car

least the fire will be out

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 7/4/08 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking in the passenger footwell or in front of the passenger seat. It needs to be really accessible or you may as well leave it at home!

MikeR

posted on 7/4/08 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
where would you rather have to reach to get it when the car is on fire? I'd guess infront of you would be best - easier to hand, esp if you're in the car.
nitram38

posted on 7/4/08 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Why not convert it to a plumbed in one?
Then you can put it under the bonnet and use a cable to fire it.

Krismc

posted on 7/4/08 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Personally foot well would be best option i recon, i get them from work, so im putting a few in the car. on on roll bar/one under bonnt/one is passenger foot well- better safe than sorry

we get small dry powdered ones in silver/black/carbon orblue with a roll bar bracket etc for £15-£18 (delivered to your door)

for that price there is no reason why every one doesnt have 2 (apart from weight for the racers)

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 7/4/08 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
i have put ine (same kind) on the left side of the passenger footwell. My seats are on runners and so diddin't want to put it infront of seat, it is fairly well hidden though not completly and easy to access (important factor!!)

Hope that helps ya

Hellfire

posted on 7/4/08 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
We fitted ours as in the photo below. Idea being, that the driver can quickly reach over his shoulder and grab the extinguisher without needing to undo harness first. Passenger seat isn't fitted with runners and doesn't obstruct removal of the extinguisher. Hopefully we'll never need it. Tax disc is mounted between seats on rear bulkhead, as is the intercom.

Phil

[Edited on 7-4-08 by Hellfire]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.