Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Harness bolt collar wont fit
Steve Lovelock

posted on 19/4/08 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Harness bolt collar wont fit

Hi, I have a set of Willians harnesses and the correct 7/16 UNF bolts but the collar is too big to fit in the harness holes. This means that the bolts will clamp the harnesses up tight. Is this OK or should I drill the harness out?
ReMan

posted on 19/4/08 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Should have done a poll

I vote Drill!

OK Don't drill!!

[Edited on 21/4/08 by ReMan]

daviep

posted on 19/4/08 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Probably better to get/make the correct spacers. Certainly wouldn't touch my harness with a drill.

Davie

rusty nuts

posted on 19/4/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Get in touch with the suppliers for the correct parts?
madmandegge

posted on 19/4/08 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
I just emailed them to see if they can actually sell me some spacers, otherwise I've no idea where to get them. Don't have the tools/skills to make my own

edit - Will report back when I hear from them!

[Edited on 20/4/08 by madmandegge]

LBMEFM

posted on 20/4/08 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
If you bought the harness and fixings as a kit they have supplied the wrong spacers. Ask for the correct ones.
daviep

posted on 20/4/08 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
If you do a sketch of what you need I'll knock you up a set spacers for the cost of postage.

Davie

[Edited on 20/4/08 by daviep]

clairetoo

posted on 20/4/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I`ve got a similar problem - the holes on my OMP harnesses are barely bigger than the bolts - any collars would be so thin they would crush when tightened - the holes measure 11.9mm .
Not too sure what to do about it other than be sure the mounts are pointing in the right direction when they are tight ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

madmandegge

posted on 20/4/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I've just checked mine, same issue, correct bolts don't leave any clearance for the spacers, what the hell's going on

I was about to take a picture of what I've got, but seeing as any spacers won't fit...

Steve Lovelock

posted on 20/4/08 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I will ring Willans this week but it has ocurred to me that perhaps these harnesses need to fixed to the car with the ring type of bolts?
rusty nuts

posted on 20/4/08 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Could it be that the harnesses are meant to be bolted down solidly?
madmandegge

posted on 20/4/08 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lovelock
I will ring Willans this week but it has ocurred to me that perhaps these harnesses need to fixed to the car with the ring type of bolts?

I don't think so, mine have holes at the top for bolts, can't work out how they'd fit onto rings. They had bolts in when I got them, but they'd been welded to a spacer (that doesn't fit into the harness loop, just under it) so it didn't move when screwed in, but I didn't fancy using the weakened bolt!

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Could it be that the harnesses are meant to be bolted down solidly?

I suppose, it's probably worth me ringing Willans to see whats up!

madmandegge

posted on 21/4/08 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Just got an email back from Simon (Willan's MD no less!), see below.
"Please find attached photos of the parts I think you are after. It does depend on having the correct hole size in the tongue on the end of the harness to accept the top hat shaped spacer. These spacers are designed for use with 7/16" bolts. However most of our harnesses have the tongues rigidly mounted so will have smaller holes in them. We do not recommend drilling out the holes as the parts are hardened for strength and enlarging the hole will weaken them. We can of course replace the mounting tongues with other models if required."

Two pictures he attached:

and

I've asked how much it'll cost to replace the ends, I'd assume it involves some sewing on their behalf. Not that we needed it but that confirms the drilling option is a bad idea

madmandegge

posted on 21/4/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Another update,

"Our Supersport harnesses are ECE 16 approved and road legal but they do not have swivelling mountings so I am not sure why you think it is a requirement. There is no safety issue that we are aware of in using solid mountings as long as the mounting tongue is in line with the webbing when the driver is seated and wearing the harness. Almost all racing cars use fixed mountings and obviously the speeds are much higher than for road use."

Was this something everyone already knew, are swivelling harnesses only needed for SVA? Starting to feel like a dunce here

DarrenW

posted on 21/4/08 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Are you sure they need swivel mounts for SVA? I cant remember the book wording but dont recall that was a requirement.
I dont see why solid mounting would be a problem.

madmandegge

posted on 21/4/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have no idea! I'd just assumed from what I'd read (can't even remember where that was now! ) that they needed to move to get the optimum positioning to hold the person in the seat?
For now I think I'll just mount them, use a washer and see how it goes!

iank

posted on 21/4/08 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've read it on here in this thread
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=84653

It would seem good practice to make them swivel, but if the manufacturer don't think it's necessary then presumably they are happy that uneven loads on the webbing aren't an issue.
It's not mentioned in the manual.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

madmandegge

posted on 21/4/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
I've read it on here in this thread
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=84653

It would seem good practice to make them swivel, but if the manufacturer don't think it's necessary then presumably they are happy that uneven loads on the webbing aren't an issue.
It's not mentioned in the manual.

Thanks for that, I thought I'd read it somewhere! Surprises me that they aren't worried about it, but I suppose they know best. I'm going to measure mine again just to make sure that none of the collars will fit, but my harnesses sound exactly like the one's mentioned in the linked thread!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.