Too odd to be seen in
Fugly

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Poll - Is this nice or not
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/7/08 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Poll - Is this nice or not

I'm interested in how here people feel about appearance of this car, I ‘work’ in a mainly Italian company who seem to have the view that a nice cars don't look like this. Perhaps it's just them?
[img][/img]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vinny1275

posted on 10/7/08 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
It looks like form following function, and it looks like it's designed to be as aerodynamic as possible. Is that a solar panel on the roof as well?

I quite like it....

speedyxjs

posted on 10/7/08 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
That looks awful (imo)
Looks like a bug with wheels

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

smart51

posted on 10/7/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
It's cetrainly individual. Definatly and aero design, so I'd like to see more taper at the rear in plan view. Its a bit like a space ship too, which is kind of fun. Strangely, the doors look a much nicer shape on the inside than the outside. Presumably they are the same shape from both sides.

I respect it more than I like it, but I think it could grow on me. Its the front wheel pods that spoil it. Does it have a name? Do you have links to more pictures?

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/7/08 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Yes the roof has solar cells on it

Possibly it is a bit ahead of its time, style wise

this is the site - http://www.aptera.com

Like the Carver it will be in limited production at the end of the year.

oh did I mention it does 300 miles per gallon...

[Edited on 10/7/08 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 10/7/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Needs 4 wheels really - then i think it would be quite cool.
smart51

posted on 10/7/08 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ooo no! the pictures from the side spoil it. The nose is too pointy and the tail too swoopy. Weired.

230 MPG at a steady 55 MPH for the diesel is pretty impressive. The exposed drive belt to the rear wheel would just get full of crud here though.

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/7/08 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Ooo no! the pictures from the side spoil it. The nose is too pointy and the tail too swoopy. Weired.

230 MPG at a steady 55 MPH for the diesel is pretty impressive. The exposed drive belt to the rear wheel would just get full of crud here though.

It’s actually petrol! Apparently they could not get a diesel clean enough to be legal in California. The prototype did 230 mpg, it predicted the production car will do 300 mpg. The belt is usually hidden behind the flaring.

Yes it’s just weird but basically they’ve said we’re just going all out on the aerodynamics and that’s it, sod compromising.

02GF74

posted on 10/7/08 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I don't like it but don't know why. It is too radical looking to be a car..... but then looking at cars from the 1920s and modern ones, the shock would be just as great.

Ask me again in 40 years time.

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/7/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
I don't like it but don't know why. It is too radical looking to be a car..... but then looking at cars from the 1920s and modern ones, the shock would be just as great.

Ask me again in 40 years time.

good answer

Remember the Sierra...so 'Radical' they had to introduce it as the Probe -

claimed at the time a futuristic test show car but was infact simply to get the public use to the idea before letting folk see the production model. How dated does the show car look now...

I see the voting is leaning towards the ‘it’s not too ugly’ side

smart51

posted on 10/7/08 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Remember the Sierra...so 'Radical' they had to introduce it as the Probe -

That was the Ford Probe 3 concept car. It was a test vehicle to show how aerodynamic they could make a car. 0.25cd IIRC. The production Sierra looked much the same, but had an ordinary cd of 0.34. It meant that the 1.3 engine was nolonger enough. They dropped it quite soon.

smart51

posted on 10/7/08 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
A bit more digging has found that it has a coefficient of drag of 0.11 which is exceptionally good, although it is twice as high as they aimed for.

The petrol version, running on petrol alone, did 104 [imperial] MPG at a steady 55MPG. The computer model of my latest build predicts it to do 99 MPG at the same speed, which equates to 88 MPG in the European combined test. It means the aptera would do about 92 MPG in the combined test, on petrol only, just shy of the "holy grail" of 3.00 litres per 100 km. Pretty good then.

Their claim of 300 MPG with the hybrid system activated relys on it being charged from the mains every 120 miles; a bit of a dubious claim.

It weighs 386kg, including the hybrid motor and batteries, giving it a 0-60 time of 10 seconds. You've got to give them full marks for effort.

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/7/08 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
yes you're quite right about the mpg claims but they do explain the way the hybrid system works and that initially it starts off at 400mpg going down to I think 120mpg once the batteries have been fully exhausted, its rather different to a single engine. The difference in drag was probably just things like door seams etc, I can't see them really improving on what they've got. Personally I love the styling, it’s so uncompromising on its purpose, I have no interest in just another same old car. Hopefully I will be able to get my hands on one quite soon.

iank

posted on 10/7/08 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I think it looks pretty good, at least compared with most trikes and a lot of kit cars.

It would be interesting to see a front, or front /side, photo from ground level.

It's good to be interesting and different, but I don't think it will ever be a mainstream styling.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

russbost

posted on 10/7/08 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I like it! Tho' it's a bit unfortunate that from behind, with the doors open it looks like Micky Mouses head!
At last - someone has worked out you can put a solar panel on the roof of a car - took them long enough to work that one out!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
clairetoo

posted on 10/7/08 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I think it looks amazing - but how about a bike engined one ? Never mind 200mpg , go for 200mph

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

A1

posted on 11/7/08 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
i must say, im not a fan... its too bug like.
kipper

posted on 13/7/08 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
I like it, it remindes me of a three wheeler I had in my teens. The Frisky,two wheels at the front with a viliers 197 engine that had a reverse system, you stopped the engine pushed the key in and the engine started running backwards, giving you 4 speeds in reverse.
ah the good old days

I bet Mr whippy can't find a pic of a Frisky

oh and as I remember it was very frugal on petrol
Denis,

[Edited on 13/7/08 by kipper.

[Edited on 13/7/08 by kipper]

Where did that go?
<<<<

jacko

posted on 14/7/08 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kipper
I like it, it remindes me of a three wheeler I had in my teens. The Frisky,two wheels at the front with a viliers 197 engine that had a reverse system, you stopped the engine pushed the key in and the engine started running backwards, giving you 4 speeds in reverse.
ah the good old days

I bet Mr whippy can't find a pic of a Frisky

oh and as I remember it was very frugal on petrol
Denis,

[Edited on 13/7/08 by kipper.

[Edited on 13/7/08 by kipper]

Denis how old are you ?

MustangSix

posted on 14/7/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Not for me....I think it looks like a sperm cell on wheels....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.