Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alacantara sued dashboard and pannels?
tegwin

posted on 30/9/08 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Alacantara sued dashboard and pannels?

Has anyone ever tried to use Alacantara feux suede stuff to cover dashboard and panels etc?

I'm tempted to use it instead of vinyl for a slightly different look...

But not sure how easy it will be to work with...

Can it be stretched and glued in much the same way as vinyl can, or is it going to require more thought with stitched seams etc?

The interior could look like these:

I think I am going to go for all black, but dont really want shiny looking vinyl....matt vinyl would look nice, or perhaps alacatnara..

Thoughts?

----------------

Found an example of a suede dashboard..

[Edited on 30/9/08 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Hammerhead

posted on 30/9/08 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using alcantara, it can't be stretched like vinyl. But can be glued with spray glue or contact adhesive.
Just got myself 3m of black.

scoop

posted on 30/9/08 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Ive covered my dash in a grey alcantara to match my Elise seats. Im told it wears very well and defo looks better than a lot of vinyls. Cant beat carbon though.
tegwin

posted on 30/9/08 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hammerhead where did you get yours from?...Think I need to find a piece and see if it will do what I want....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

Triton

posted on 30/9/08 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Damn expensive that stuff, looking to buy a sample to cover one of our seats but so far looking at £140 worth for one seat...

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 30/9/08 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Are you looking at buying real Suede, or Alactantra?

Woolies do it at £30/meter....and some curtain fabric suppliers sell it for less...although im not sure what the quality of that is like...

Or failing the Alacantra...where can I get non patterend black vinyl like in that picture with the black dash? it looks so much crisper without the fake leather print on it

[Edited on 30/9/08 by tegwin]

wicket

posted on 30/9/08 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Some on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-Alcantara-Fabric-Dark-Grey_W0QQitemZ350103137660QQihZ022QQcategoryZ83926QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

grazzledazzle

posted on 1/10/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I just won this on ebay, as if i haven't got enough to do!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=140269833621

Will let you know how i get on.

Hammerhead

posted on 1/10/08 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
I can get it for a good price because i'm in the upholstery trade. Tegwin I can send you an offcut if you don't mind waiting until I cut my panels out.

Triton you can get alcantara type fabric a lot cheaper than you have found. Alcantara is a brand name like hoover, you can get alcantara type fabrics a lot cheaper that are treated to crib 5 fire retardency levels. Surely you only need a couple of metres for a pair of seats should be in the region of £40 for the cloth.

Hope that helps.

grazzledazzle

posted on 1/10/08 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Also triton (sorry about the hijack thread) if you can trim me some seats in nice charcoal alcantara you've got a sale!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.