Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Determination of seat reference point: Interpretation of Annex4
maartenromijn

posted on 4/11/08 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Determination of seat reference point: Interpretation of Annex4

Hi guys,
A question about the seat reference point. I know about the 136x53mm block as per annex4.

Seat reference point
Seat reference point

Here is my question. How will this be checked by the inspector? What is the third dimension of the distance block? At what angle will the block be placed?

This does make a difference as the part of the seat where your bum is going to be is hollow sphere-shaped. See picture:

Seat reference point question
Seat reference point question

[Edited on 4/11/08 by maartenromijn]

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

adithorp

posted on 4/11/08 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
They didn't try the block on mine. Had a look and decided it was ok.

I think it's just down to the testers interpretation and experience. It looks clear on paper but in reality its not.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

maartenromijn

posted on 4/11/08 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
It makes all the difference in designing the upper anhorage points. Maybe I need to raise them 2 inches above the rear member.
Because it will create a torsion in the member, I need to lead the force further down to the diagonal member...

Have the measurements actually been checked in someone's car? How are the measurments performed?

[Edited on 4/11/08 by maartenromijn]

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

snapper

posted on 4/11/08 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
The third dimension is unimportant just the length from seat back and the distance above the furthest point away.
The tester will use a purpose built gauge with adjustable angle and a bit of string.
If the seat belt goes through the seat then the seat belt hole is the reference point and must be structurally capable of taking the loads, so you can route the seat belts around the seat then the seat belt top mounting must be as high or higher than the reference point.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

02GF74

posted on 4/11/08 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by

Have the measurements actually been checked in someone's car? How are the measurments performed?

they were checked in mine, and it failed - was really borderline though.

I cannot remember the tester using any equipment - think it may have been visaul but in any case my seat have flat bases unlik yours.

loads of people have these buttock scuplted fibre glass or CF seats. so someone must know - or is it enough that the harness doe not foul on the cut out in these seats?

Shamrock GS

posted on 4/11/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
The guy (Glasgow) checked mine with a straight edge from the top of the wheel to the mounting point and then a tape measure to the seat at about the right place - he didn't use a block.

I had done what you suggest and extend the mounting down to the cross member. To stop the tester opening up the back of the car I brought pics of all the hidden bits (top and bottom belt mounts, inside the tunnel etc).

While I think about it - I had put on a larger diameter wheel for the test. (13" instead of 11" This gave me a better 'free' area on the dash to mount spiky bits and also increased the datum above the seat.

Gary

[Edited on 4/11/08 by Shamrock GS]

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.