Board logo

Vinyl wrapped Mk Indy
GavR - 14/5/10 at 10:49 AM

Take a look at my vinyl wrapped Indy, all the design and fitting was done by myself at work. If anyone is intrested in any graphics from little decals up to unique digitally printed wraps give us a u2u or come see me at Newark show

photo album Of the whole process is below.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2041979&id=1186009574&l=78a17119c4

afj - 14/5/10 at 10:52 AM

we wondered whos it was a stonliegh we were impresed nice job

skinned knuckles - 14/5/10 at 10:54 AM

looks good mate. what sort of prices are you looking at for a similar wrap of a 7 alike?

GavR - 14/5/10 at 10:56 AM

Cheers mate, I tryed to stay by the car but couldn't resist hunting for bargains lol

Airhead - 14/5/10 at 10:57 AM

I have to say WOW!

Building a Jap powered car myself and a dragon would've been nice.

What would that cost as a matter of interest?

GavR - 14/5/10 at 11:03 AM

Well all depends on what the design consists of and how much material it uses.

To give you an idea, I'm working on a Mk Indy at the moment who's having the whole back and both side panels wrapping in a unique design for around £300 fitted.

It's a dam site cheaper than airbrushing and the best thing about it is that if you want a change or want the panels back to the original colour (e.g For selling the vehicle) it's removal so there's no need in buying new panels.

GavR - 14/5/10 at 11:09 AM

I can supply designs to cut fitting costs if anyone fancied tackling it themselves

TimC - 14/5/10 at 11:15 AM

Looks pretty awesome that.

Be careful not to fall foul of trader rules.

GavR - 14/5/10 at 11:20 AM

Tim, where can I find the trader rules? Iv had a look but could find anything, I'm concidering it.

Davey D - 14/5/10 at 11:43 AM

Saw it at stoneleigh, and thought it looked really good. Nice to see some different sort of graphics on a 7'esque car

Irony - 14/5/10 at 11:50 AM

I have considered wrapping my car at some point in the future. I also work for a company that has the facilities to produce digitally printed shape cut graphics. Trouble is I can never come up with a design a like for more than a couple of months.

I would also agree that wrapping is a very good alternative to respraying or airbrushing. I am certainly not going to paint mine when its on the road. Some sort of wrap even if its a block colour or a gradient.

The MK looks good by the way and I suggest that £300 fitted is a damn good price. What vinyl and laminate are you using for that price?

madrallysport - 14/5/10 at 12:34 PM

That is brilliant looking..... Well done that man.

hobzy - 14/5/10 at 12:37 PM

Saw it at the show and was impressed. Would be tempted to do it to refresh mine in a couple of years.

Acquaintance down here has had his purple lambo wrapped and it looks amazing - pearlescant white and carbon fibre wrap - I cannot tell the difference between the real cf bits and the wrapped bits without touching it.

contaminated - 14/5/10 at 01:38 PM

Any chance someone can post a pic - I can't access Facebook at work

mangogrooveworkshop - 14/5/10 at 02:48 PM

I may need your services......ps the wife used to work for the signarama franshises here in scotland before they went bust.....
So fittings not the problem.
She wrapped macspeedys car a few years back in a scottish saltire.....
Ive got a good idea that i want to try out.

franky - 14/5/10 at 03:22 PM

how much would it be to wrap a seven in a plain white all over bar the scuttle/cycle wings/nose?

GavR - 14/5/10 at 03:40 PM

If anyone has any questions about wrapping or graphics please contact me via my email g-dan@live.co.uk.

I don't want to upset anyone on here untill I hear back from a admin about being a trader

cheers,
gav

GavR - 14/5/10 at 03:42 PM

Irony, to your question we use metamark digital Wrapping vinyl n laminate. We also use avery and oracal vinyls to suit the application and customer requirements.

Irony - 14/5/10 at 03:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GavR
Irony, to your question we use metamark digital Wrapping vinyl n laminate. We also use avery and oracal vinyls to suit the application and customer requirements.

We use metamark as well. Its good stuff! Generally we find that Metamarks range suits most applications but Avery (Robert Horne we use for that) has some nice unusal vinyls such as their Beatle Shell and Flat Matt Black.

Good Luck with the trader status!

splitrivet - 14/5/10 at 04:08 PM

Hats off from me on anyone who can do vinyl wrapping. I have problems sticking my tax disc in the windscreen.
Cheers,
Bob

Tris - 14/5/10 at 06:09 PM

Just out of interest - how well does this stuff stand up to stone chips ? Does it rip or tare when hit ?

I looked at yours at stonleigh and was also very impressed - great work

[Edited on 14/5/10 by Tris]

deltron63 - 14/5/10 at 06:46 PM

I'm thinking of redbull'n mine.would redbull mind or tell me to take it off?

GavR - 14/5/10 at 06:48 PM

I've got to say that some standard colour wrapping vinyls are fairly thin, this is so that they are easier to Manipulate and go round contours. The digital media which is used on my dragon has a layer of laminate which makes it thicker and also protects the print from Uv and scratching.

This also helps with stonechips.

So all in all the vinyl is a layer of protection for your bodywork but isn't stonechip proof. I have drove mine roughly 300mile and haven't had a single imperfection in the vinyl.

GavR - 14/5/10 at 06:50 PM

I doubt it deltron, theres lots of people with racing decals on. I'd say it's good because your advertising them lol

deltron63 - 14/5/10 at 06:55 PM

free redbull then

bigpig - 14/5/10 at 07:07 PM

Nice,
Once I get mine on the road, I want a Viva Pinata Horstatio doing about 1/3 of the rear. I'll have to get in touch once I get to that stage.

GavR - 14/5/10 at 07:56 PM

Sounds good I'm going to make some f1 and rally replica Graphic kits. Either fitted or supplied graphics. I'll be bringing some designs and prices to Newark hopefully, look out for me at Newark I'll be with the MK owners stand

jacko - 14/5/10 at 08:04 PM

You have made a very nice job of the car Tim will be jealous.
I know that car from its first owner
you got a very well built car
Jacko

GavR - 14/5/10 at 08:14 PM

Thanks mate, he's made a brilliant job of the car. I would love to meet him

jacko - 14/5/10 at 08:18 PM

You more then likely will at Newark he goes most years
Its Tim Windmill off here But he dose not have a computer at the moment
Jacko

GavR - 14/5/10 at 08:34 PM

Cool, if you see him Could you tell him to look out for me at Newark show

bodger - 14/5/10 at 08:58 PM

I was admiring it at Stoneleigh too, I really liked the base colour, I nice change from the usual colours, including mine. Did you spray it or was it a special gel coat?

GavR - 14/5/10 at 09:50 PM

It's a unique gel coat colour, a good friend of MK told me that the original order was placed by someone who wanted the gel coat to represent a stainless steel body and when the gel coat colour came back the custom cancelled and rufused the colour. I'm my opinion I love the colour, it's defently one of a kind.

Nash - 15/5/10 at 09:37 AM

Gav,
My son and I saw the car at Stoneleigh and were very impressed. Will defo come and see you at Newark.

Slightly off topic but where did your aeroscreen come from and what make is it?

Thanks.............. Neil

[Edited on 15/5/10 by Nash]

jacko - 15/5/10 at 09:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nash
Gav,
My son and I saw the car at Stoneleigh and were very impressed. Will defo come and see you at Newark.

Slightly off topic but where did your aeroscreen come from and what make is it?

Thanks.............. Neil

I can answer this it is a Mac1 screen
Jacko
Description
Description

[Edited on 15/5/10 by jacko]

Nash - 15/5/10 at 10:15 AM

Thanks Jacko.

...........Neil

GavR - 15/5/10 at 11:46 AM

This aeroscreen was originally a carbon fibre mac1 screen but the layer of resin had gone faded so I wrapped it in matt black vinyl

RK - 15/5/10 at 12:45 PM

Look forward to seeing pics of more vinyl wraps.

And also a Red Bull car - I am sure they won't mind, as they are publicity advertising prostitutes.

deltron63 - 15/5/10 at 02:14 PM

the redbull graphics are being done now,should be on by the end of next week

b16mts - 17/5/10 at 02:52 PM

How does it stand up around the exhaust?

My side panel are bare ali, and i dont like it, want them to match the rest of the car ideally.

cant really take them off, and if wrapping is more cost effective and easy than spraying i'm all for it. just not sure if it'll cope with the heat of the manifold coming within inches of the bodywork.

Martin

Irony - 17/5/10 at 03:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by b16mts
How does it stand up around the exhaust?

My side panel are bare ali, and i dont like it, want them to match the rest of the car ideally.

cant really take them off, and if wrapping is more cost effective and easy than spraying i'm all for it. just not sure if it'll cope with the heat of the manifold coming within inches of the bodywork.

Martin

I do vinyl wrapping and I would be slightly nervous of the heat of the exhaust on the vinyl. Easiest answer is to get some samples. Most vinyl companies will send you them for free!